makeup and matches made in heaven

jongin's favourite pass time is scrolling through youtube to find something interesting to watch. whether it's a cooking video, a documentary or a fashion video, he's probably watched at least two of everything in the past year. the one thing he's never ventured into, though, are makeup tutorials. there's something about watching them and people seeing his search history that scares him. everyone he's close to knows he's gay, that's not the problem, he just doesn't want to seem like the feminine type who wants to wear makeup. not that there's anything wrong with that of course, it's just not him.

which is why he's hesitant to click on the video that just popped up in front of him. it's a makeup video from a youtuber he's never heard of but the thing that intrigues him is the fact that the youtuber is a man. he has nothing against male beauty youtubers but he hasn't seen many in his life time. other than the obvious like james charles and jeffree star. the thing that draws him to this channel is that the guy is korean and cute as hell.

the video starts with the man's introduction then a few seconds later he appears, makeup-less and beyond handsome.

"hi beautiful people," he says, waving to the camera with a grin on his face. jongin is entranced. how someone can be so happy and energetic, he doesn't know. his perpetually sleepy self will never understand.

"it's me chanyeol, thank you for joining me again," the man, chanyeol, says. "seeing as it's almost spring, i've decided that today's makeup look is going to be light and colourful, the perfect way to bring us out of winter."

jongin watches as chanyeol starts applying his makeup, making sure to lay out every step as he does. jongin doesn't know much about makeup but he knows chanyeol is great at it.

the video ends after 10 minutes and then jongin spends the next hour after that binge-watching his others. every video has a different colour pallet and style but it all compliments chanyeol perfectly. he's beautiful, jongin can't believe someone like him exists.

he only stops watching chanyeol when his roommate sehun barges into his room unannounced. jongin slams his laptop shut but he knows that sehun saw his screen.

"what are you watching?" he asks.

"nothing," jongin replies.

"was that a makeup tutorial?"

"why would i be watching one of those?"

"you tell me."

jongin knows he's not going to get anywhere with sehun so he sighs.

"fine, i was watching a makeup tutorial, happy?" he says. catching the annoyance in jongin's voice, sehun raises his hands in surrender.

"you don't have to get all defensive with me, i'm not judging you," he says.

"you're not?" jongin asks wearily.

"i couldn't care less what you want to watch on youtube, i was only asking because i've watched that dude's videos before."

"you have?" jongin did not peg sehun as someone who would watch makeup tutorials.

"i mean, i watched them to understand the shit my girlfriend puts on every morning but yeah, i have. he's super talented."

"he is."

"and also super your type."

"what's that supposed to mean?"

sehun chuckles as he walks to sit beside jongin on his bed.

"you like the tall, cute boys and chanyeol is very much a tall, cute boy," he says. "i don't have to be gay to see that."