Chapter Nine

"Tell me later, we have to go."

Owen nods, as we sprint back into our hotels. I shuffle on my shoes quickly, sprinting into the hallway. I meet up with Owen halfway down the hall as we take the stairs two at a time. Police sirens grow louder as we rush our way to the first floor.

As soon as I take the last step and I enter the lobby I am stunned. Every worker—including Théo—stands in the room. They all watch the chaos through the glass doors that lead to the wreck outside.

Car wrecks in New York are normal. For such a big city and lots of traffic it would be strange if their wasn't a wreck. But the adrenaline rush never fades every time you hear the familiar booming of impact off two cars.

"Théo!" I elbow my way through the crowd of workers, some yelling at me in French.

He turns around, an emotionless guard on his face. "Alice! What are you doing down here?"

I ignore his question, asking one of my own. "You were outside. What happened?"

"Drunk driver. Apparently someone stopped at red light, he didn't. It was a domino affect from there, three other cars got caught in the pile."

I nod, chewing my lip in concern. "Was anyone hurt?"

Théo shrugs. "I suppose. But there was no deaths, thankfully."

I nod, the heaviness slightly lifting off my chest. I watch police and EMT's sprint back and forth, people being dragged from the scene. Suddenly it's as if I'm not standing in the first floor of Coûteux Un Hôtel.

And a memory rushes to the forefront of my mind, my eyes becoming unfocused on the scene outside.

︽︾︽

I can feel the darkness. It's comforting and eases the burning from my scorch marks on my back. The faraway sound of a beeping keeps my heart heavy. The sound of talking grows louder until my ears process the words.

"Can you hear me Alice?"

Owen. His voice comforts me in the cave of darkness. Not a light in sight or an object to grab onto. There is no ground beneath me, it's as if gravity wraps its hands around my body. It's warm air caressing my skin soothingly. It's as if I'm floating. I'm asleep, I'm dreaming. Usually darkness scares me, because I can't see what's in it with me. But this darkness is peaceful, it's as if it's alive. The air around me moving and whispering soft encouraging words. I try to look down at my figure but only see darkness. 

"Alice. I'm desperate without you. Life just isn't the same. You have to wake up. Please. For me."

Owen's voice seems to fade in-and-out. As if I'm listening over a radio that constantly can't keep a smooth signal. The fuzziness in my mind keeps me from thinking of anything. I just don't want to think.

But through that thick fog in my mind I know there is a question. Lying there in front of me there's a question that I have to answer.

Do I want to wake up?

I understand the question, yet my mind can't wrapper itself around an answer. It's as if my body isn't ready to answer. As if I'm waiting for something.

︽︾︽

"Alice? Hey! Are you okay?"

The world around me comes back into focus. My eyes open and I drop my hands from my head. Owen desperately clings to my shoulders, looking into my eyes intensely. I nod, answering his painfully concerned question.