Chapter Fifteen

Inspired by Queen__2005 for all her amazing and kind words. Here is to you!!

I watched the screen constantly flicker with a new text. If it wasn't from Théo it was from my father. One of the two asking where I had gone during the company ball, I didn't reply to either. I just watched with a heavy heart and replayed the image of his lips on hers.

Finally around an hour past midnight a gentle knock sounded from the front door. My mind was racing—sleep not coming soon—but my limbs had no energy to power them. I crawled deeper under the covers, wishing for the person knocking to go away. They didn't.

Groaning I sling the covers off my body and stagger to the door. With my hair in a knot and my dress from the ball still clinging to my body I opened the door.

"What."

The hallway light blinds me, making my eyes squint to make out the person.

"Jesus! I thought something happened!"

Sturdy arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me to their chest. Théo's voice filled with relief, which eases the small hole in my chest. Tears spring to my eyes as I dig my nails in his back, clinging to the small piece of sturdiness left in my life. His cologne had worn off but still lingers in his unbuttoned tux with the aroma of wine. His hair is standing on ends as if he had been running his hand through it. And his arms weren't as strong as normal, exhaustion slipping through his bones. We pull away, but never let go of each other. And it sends a warmth through me, just to know someone is still there for me.

"Your crying." Théo wipes away a stray tear, his eyes furrowed in concern.

I smile sadly, the moment bittersweet. "It's happy tears."

He grins, placing a gently kiss on my cheek. When he leans away my eyes widen and train on his blushing face.

"S-Sorry."

I didn't have control on my actions. I blame it on sleep and heartbreak. But instead of pushing Théo away I grabbed his tux and pulled his lips to mine. It helped me forget why my heart thumped lifelessly in my heart. It helped me forget my phone as it buzzed with an incoming call behind us. My mind only focused on the movement of his lips as they grinned against mine. The way his hand drew small circles on my lower back. But soon I ended the kiss just as I started it, with wide eyes and shock. My lips throbbed as I touched them. Théo's eyes wandered to every pore on my face, drinking in all my details.

"What about Owen," he whispered.

It was as if we talked loud enough we would break the moment to pieces. But as my lips begin to return to normal and the small spark left my heart, it grew heavy again. It didn't race or make my toes curl. I didn't feel anything for Théo, and by the look of dread sinking into his expression he realized it too.

It was to late when I noticed I hadn't answered his question. But when I did, it wasn't a good enough excuse. "It's complicated."

"Yeah? Or is it that you just wanted to get back at him for kissing another girl?"

I flinch away from Théo's arms, missing his body warmth. I felt vulnerable, wishing I could go back to being the level-headed girl I used to be. I lower my head in shame, I had used Théo for my own benefit. I used his own feelings, just as Owen did to me.

"I'm sorry, Théo. I j-just wanted comfort. Something steady in my life. This moving around to complete some second grade bucket list . . . it's not steady. Not even mine and Owen's relationship is. He won't speak to me and is going around kissing random strangers."