(1) Monster

Under the Mask

Summary: In episode 129, it isn't Elaine and Arlo who reach the kidnapped Seraphina first. Instead, it is John and Cecile. What will happen when Seraphina sees the true John?

A/N: In most (not all!) fics I've seen of this webtoon, the characters are so OOC (out of character), so I decided to write one myself. I feel like I am pretty decent at keeping them believable and true to the story. Enjoy!

Chapter One:

(Seraphina's Perspective)

My vision is blurry as my eyes begin to open. To my dismay and further exhaustion, I am able to make out familiar red-headed girl with blue eyes towering over me with a defiant smirk, her arms crossed over her chest.

"I'm... still here?" I voice my thought aloud, more to myself than anyone. Before I can even register why I was here again, Illena, I think her name was, smacks me across the face without so much as batting an eye. The sudden pain is enough for me to fully recover from the grogginess of being asleep, as I start to recall the events of the previous night.

That's right... these people took me here and had beaten me unconscious.

"Of course, stupid." The girl hisses with an expression of satisfaction at finally being able to stand above me, probably.

These people really do resent me. I was already well aware that most of the school was envious or hated me after being chased around and bullied as soon as word got out of my ability being erased... but not to the extent of wishing to actually tie me up and torture me...

It's a painful truth to swallow. John was right... as soon as I lost my power, everyone immediately took the opportunity to take their revenge. I took my authority for granted and was too busy focusing on myself, painfully oblivious to how two-faced these people really are.

Damn it, I can't do a single thing. It's so frustrating. My teeth clenched tightly. If only I had my ability...

With a snort, she sardonically questioned, "Did you really expect us to just let you go? Especially after your sub-par performance yesterday?" She leaned in closer to me. I lowered my head with a grim expression.

I didn't respond to her harsh words. My former classmate continued on. "Or were you hoping that someone would come to your rescue...?"

As much as I hate to admit it, I really was hoping that I would be saved. That someone would notice I'm gone... that someone would at the very least worry and try to find me. At least one student was bound to have noticed me being taken away... right? Does not a single person at Wellston care about me...?

John's smiling face instantly comes to mind as I dismissed the bleak thought with a small smile. No, John does. John cares.

And to me, that's enough.

I grit my teeth in pain as I feel my hair being yanked by the girl who showed not a trace of sympathy across her resentful expression. "Don't kid yourself." She icily spat out in a tone laced with venom. "Didn't you learn anything from last night?"

Yes, I did actually... I learned the harsh reality of how cruel people can be...

"You're powerless now. So by default, you drop to the very bottom of the ladder. Nobody cares about you anymore!" She lets go my hair and shoves me back against the wooden pole I was bound to.

Gesturing towards her four friends standing beside her, she smiles, looking rather amused. "Look! Your fellow classmates here have turned on you. Your friends are nowhere to be seen."