(8) Request

Chapter Seven:

(John's Perspective)

A sigh of hopelessness escapes my lips as I fall back onto the couch of my room in the boy's dorms, sinking into the cushion.

Seraphina is afraid of me now... She couldn't even look at me. I grimace at the thought.

What I have feared the most has become reality...

I find my sadness turning into frustration all of a sudden.

Damn it! Why couldn't they have just left me alone in the first place? I wanted to become a better person, and wanted to hide my past from everyone and leave it behind...

I wanted... No, I needed to become a better person to repent for what I had done to Claire and the others...

I glance up at the small mirror on the wall in front of me. My troubled reflection stares back at me grimly.

Just look at me... I haven't changed at all...

The sound of the door squeaking open disrupts me from my train of depressed thoughts. I look up from the couch with a grunt, only to find three familiar figures standing in the doorway.

I sigh once again, not wanting to have do deal with this shit right now. Did Blyke really have to bring his friends along, though? Is he that scared to be alone with me? I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

They all stare at me with uncertain glances.

"What do you want?" I snap impatiently when they don't say a word.

My words seem to encourage Blyke to finally speak. "Uh, could we talk...?" He reluctantly asks with hesitant eyes, kinda just like that time when he tried to befriend me. I look at him with suspicion.

Seeing as that girl, Remi, was with them though, I decide to let them speak. She's the only one who has been nice to me, even when I was a cripple to them. She's done nothing wrong, so I should at least hear her out.

Now, if it had just been Blyke and Isen on the other hand, I would have instantly refused them without another breath.

"Fine..." I say. They seem to be shocked at how easily I agreed. "But make it quick if possible, I was just about to take a nap."

The three shoot each other surprised glances before reluctantly taking a seat at the couch opposite to mine.

"Okay, well..." Starts Remi with a frown. "I'm not sure how to say this..." I can tell she is choosing her words carefully. Her expression then transfixes into one of resolve as she looks at me with determined, sanguine eyes. "We need your help."

My eyebrow raises in response. "Huh?" I wasn't exactly expecting that... Why ask me for help, of all people? Why not someone like Arlo? It just doesn't add up.

To think that there would be people who would actually dare ask me to help them, despite knowing just how dangerous and cruel I can be, is such an unfamiliar idea to me that I wondered for a second If I had even heard them right. Their anxious expressions that just screamed 'He's going to snap at us now' told me that my ears were just fine, though.

Do they really think that I'm so easy to be provoked that I would lash out at anyone who even says hi to me?

After a second of thought, I inwardly laughed. Yeah, I really am. The whole point of my transferring here was to fix that. But right now, it feels almost impossible...

How am I supposed to be friendly and trusting to the very same people who hurt me in more ways than one?

Realizing that this was the reason they brought came along, I felt a little irritated. They know full well how much I resent them for treating me like I was trash... but if they had Remi do the persuading, I might be more willing to consider the idea, as I do owe her for helping me out a few times, and for being one of Seraphina's precious friends at that.

After a moment or two, I speak up to fill the awkward tension and suspense of them waiting for me to give them an answer. My gaze is that of confusion. "What do you need me for?" I ask, my tone less irritable than before.

In response to my question, she lights up in hope and relief that I actually was considering helping them. She then proceeded to explain to me how she had decided to become a superhero and seek out EMBER to take revenge for her dead brother, Rei, and tells me of their dangerous adventures.

In particular, this Volcan lady sparks my interest.

"...and that's the situation so far." She finally finishes her story, now looking back at me with the same determination from before. "We need your strength, John."

EMBER... one of the mysterious organizations out there killing vigilantes. They're also probably connected to those guys who tried to take Seraphina and disabled her ability.... just how do they have the technology to do that, and what are they trying to accomplish here...?

If we could get to the bottom of all of this, then I won't have to worry about Sera being targeted anymore. She'll be safe.

And maybe... just maybe... I'll find out if they could be connected to what happened back then...

Back when... I wince in sorrow at the vague memory as I picture her warm, smiling face.

Mom...

I stand up from the couch. My abrupt movement startles the trio for a brief moment as their curious gazed latch onto my figure.

"Alright." I say calmly, looking Remi directly in the eye. "I'll help you."