Chapter 1-1: Letter to Pauline

Since the first of the Koopa Troop set foot in Toad Town and its surrounding neighborhoods, coverage on the terror attacks in the Mushroom Kingdom had spread to countries the world over in a matter of minutes, and New Donk City was no exception. Even worse, it looked like the situation was showing no signs of stopping.

So of course, it was natural that Mario and Luigi, who had not been in the Mushroom Kingdom for 6 years, were going to take it personally.

They first heard of the incident when they were watching the news before going to work. The mood immediately turned somber when more sources rattled off statistics regarding injuries, displacements, and even casualties. Before long, it was almost noon and they still hadn't left the apartment. Eyes were glued to the TV screen at lunch and scanning every newspaper. Ears were tuned to the radio at every moment, in the hopes that the victims' named would eventually be released.

There were plenty of people they knew back home, of course. As far as they knew, according to letters from their family, nothing much had changed. That being said, once the news mentioned Mushroom Village, their thoughts drifted immediately to Number 13 Mushroom Way, their childhood home where their parents still lived. Other individuals of note included Toadsworth and Princess Peach, along with her parents. Given their status as the royal family (or in Toadsworth's case, a strong tie to the family), their well-being was at an enormous risk.

It was Mario's idea to drop everything and return home to investigate. The fact that nothing was apparently being done about the whole situation bothered them greatly. As far as they knew, they were not receiving any foreign aid. Even local reinforcements or militia were not mentioned in any of the news coverage. As a result, there was no other way of knowing whether or not their family had survived the attacks.

On the other hand, it also meant leaving everything they worked for in New Donk City behind, including their business, the "Great Ape Escape" just two months before, and in Mario's case, Pauline. To be honest, however, both of them were growing weary of the Jumpman debacle. The race for mayor was beginning to quicken its pace, which hardly left any time for her and Mario to spend together. Of course, she was ensured of his unwavering support (along with Luigi and Stanley), but the campaign was undeniably driving a wedge between their relationship.

As much as it pained him to admit it, he wasn't sure if he would be able to continue it any further, regardless of whether or not Pauline would be elected to the position. Both of them, it seemed, were at an important crossroads in their life. Chances are, it would take them in completely different directions. Maybe it was for the best?

"Mario? Stai bene?"

He was so lost in thought he hadn't even noticed Luigi waving his hand in front of his face for the past minute and a half. "Si, sto bene," he answered absentmindedly, shaking his head in an attempt to quiet the nagging voice in his brain. "You're almost done packing?"

"I've been done for a while now. What about you?"

Mario stared at his suitcase. Truth be told, he almost forgot about it; before zoning out, his focus had been on the piece of paper in his hand. Out of the two suitcases he and Luigi each had, along with their red and green backpacks, nearly everything they had was packed. All that was left to do now was zip up his second suitcase and together, the brothers would be out the door. "I'm ready now," he answered. "Just let me do something first."

"Okie dokie. I'll be here."

He stood up and walked out to Pauline's apartment next door. She was still at work; it was the middle of the day, after all. With a deep breath, he folded the paper in half and slid it underneath her door. He then proceeded to walk back into his apartment, where his brother was waiting. "Is it time?"

Super Mario Bros: The Fan-Adapted Novelizationजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें