Chapter 2-6: Into The Fortress!

Upon rescuing Toad, there was not much more ground to cover in the tower, so they left through a hidden exit. Meanwhile, Mario and Luigi had a lot of questions for Toad during their journey to the fortress, who was patient enough to answer all of them.

The real fortress was not far away from the watch tower, and wouldn't be blocked off by a moat. Instead, a large brick wall bordered it, armed with giant bullets and members of the Hammer Brotherhood standing guard for intruders. Buzzy beetles were at the front lines while lakitus would attack from above using spinies as ammunition.

The twins were stunned at how much information Toad was able to gather. "Amazing!" Luigi exclaimed. "How did you find all of this out?"

"The Hammer Brotherhood held me there, too, but I was able to escape through a secret passage. Peach couldn't come with me, though," he lamented. "She wasn't small enough to fit through it. If anything, they probably moved her someplace different."

"Where do you think they moved her?" Mario inquired.

"To a keep in the tallest tower. Knowing Bowser, he might have her locked up there so nobody can reach her."

"What about the rest of the fortress?" the man in green pressed on. "Is it anything like the watch tower?"

"No, it's a lot bigger, and more confusing, too. There aren't any warp holes, but there's a pipe maze that can make you real dizzy. Oh, and I should warn you," he cautioned. "One of them takes you underwater, so hold your breath, just in case."

"Do you remember how you escaped?"

"Oh, it took me forever to get out of there," the fungus shuddered. "But I know the way like the back of my little hand!"

"Perfetto! Now we don't have to lose our way to get to Peach!" Mario cheered.

With renewed vigor, the three of them soldiered on.

***

Their walk was mostly uneventful, but provided more than enough time for the brothers to regale many of their adventures in New Donk City to Toad, from when they first arrived six years prior all the way to Pauline, the Great Ape Escape, and the Jumpman mania that followed.

"Look!" Toad shouted. "The walls! We're getting close!"

They immediately quickened their pace as soon as the little mushroom got their attention. In the distance, the brothers could observe the gigantic towers of the fortress, easily dwarfing the watch tower by hundreds of feet. Next to it stood a flagpole bearing the triangular flag of the Darklands, black with a white skull in the middle resembling Bowser's head. Outside remained only the menacing exterior walls themselves, while a few lakitus peered over the top with watchful eyes.

"Those are some tall walls, even for us," Mario said, looking up in awe of the structures before them. "We need to go over them to get inside the fortress...but how do we do it? Any ideas?"

He looked over to Toad, who was nowhere to be seen. "Uffa. Where did he run off to now?"

"Over here, guys!" a chipper voice piped up to their left. "I think I found something that can help us!"

"You did?"

The brothers ran up to Toad, who was lugging a giant springboard behind him. "It's a spring!" Luigi exclaimed. "Toad, you're amazing!"

The twins took over pushing the spring, eventually settling it close by the wall. Toad volunteered to jump first. It took some extra help to push the spring down on account of his small size, but eventually, he was able to fly right over. Mario followed, and Luigi went last, scattering some of the watchmen by throwing a few choice fireballs in their general direction before his descent.