Chapter 2

I wandered through the darkness, waiting for a crossroads demon to show up. After all, I had just summoned one. This was the most idiotic thing I'd ever done but it would all be worth it in the end...or at least that's what I kept telling myself.

"Come on you son of a bitch! Get your ass down here!" I yelled into the night.

"Dean Winchester," an unfamiliar british voice suddenly said from behind me.

I quickly spun round and aimed my gun at the surprisingly well dressed man who was now standing in front of me.

"How'd you know my name?"

"Never mind that. I hear you're tryna bring your girl back."

"Who are you?" I asked, suspicious that he already knew so much about me.

"King of the Crossroads," he said proudly.

"Wait, so I summoned you?"

He hesitated for a moment, "Sort of. I kind of decided to step in."

"Why?"

"Look, enough of the questions. Do you want to make a deal or not?"

I nodded.

"One year," he simply stated.

"That's not right. You gotta give me more time."

"Well I suppose I could just disappear and leave her in the ground?" He smirked as he turned and began walking away.

Did I really want to do this? I'd only get to spend a year with her. Was it really worth it?

"Fine. It's a deal."

"Excellent. Now let's seal the deal Dean."

***

Zara's POV

My eyes shot open and everything was dark. What was happening? I began to panic when I realized that I could barely move. And that was when it all came back to me. I died. I must've been underground. But how was I here, alive? I began digging my hands into the dirt, in an attempt to find light. I had to get out of here. I had to find out what was going on.

It felt like I'd been digging forever but a feeling of relief washed over me when I saw a shred of light emerge from the small hole I'd made. However, that relief soon disappeared when the thick dirt began to fall on top of me. My throat began to tighten as the dirt continued to pile onto my face. I forced my hands up, desperately trying to grasp fresh air. I quickly lifted my head above the dirt and when I could finally focus my vision, I examined my surroundings. I was a fair distance away from a bridge. The same bridge where Dean and I met. I climbed out of the small hole in the ground and dusted myself down, before walking towards the bridge and following the road. The last place I remembered seeing Dean was at Bobby's house. But it would take ages to get there on foot.

As I stumbled down the road, I passed multiple cars that had been left empty. I stopped and stared at one of the cars for a moment, contemplating whether or not I should take it. Without thinking, I picked up a rock and threw it into the car window, shattering the glass. I climbed in and hot wired the car, making the engine roar. It reminded me of Dean. Oh my god, Dean. How was he coping with all this? I thought. I had no idea if he'd done as I'd said before I disappeared. After I'd disappeared, everything was just black. It was torture not knowing what happened to Dean. I felt a sense of urgency to get back to him so I started the car and drove down the road.

***

When I arrived at Bobby's house, I was hesitant about going in. What if Dean wasn't there? What if Bobby didn't believe it was really me? I was sure Dean would've told him what happened. I shook my thoughts away and mustered up the courage to approach the ancient house. I gently knocked on the door and within a few minutes, Bobby was opening it, a shocked look on his face.

That look soon turned to disgust when he pulled a knife out of his jean pocket. "Get away from my house demon!"

I held my hands up in defense, "Please don't hurt me. I-I don't know what happened..."

He swung the knife at me, almost slicing my arm. "Yeah right. You just wanna get to Dean. So what are you. A demon? A shapeshifter?!"

"I'm neither. It's me, Zara."

"Prove it."

"W-what do you mean?"

He handed me the shiny silver blade, "Here."

I was confused. "What do you want me to do?"

"Cut yourself with it."

I had no idea what he believed he'd gain from this but I followed his instruction anyway. I carefully made a small cut in my arm and handed the blade back to him. The look of shock then reappeared on his face.

"Well, you ain't no shape shifter," he muttered to himself. He almost sounded disappointed.

Before I could speak, he sprinkled water on me. "Hm, not a demon either," he muttered again.

"What happened to you?" He asked.

"I don't know. One minute I was dead, and the next...I was digging myself out of a shallow grave."

His face was blank for a second but then an angry expression appeared on his face. "Oh god no...he hasn't," he grumbled to himself.

"Hasn't what?"

"Uh never mind. You need to go and find Dean."

I poked my head around the door, "He's not here?"

"No, he took off with Sam a few months ago."

My heart dropped in my chest, "Months?!"

"Yeah...uh...you could come in and try calling him? If you want."

I smiled. "That'd be great. Thanks Bobby."

***

Dean's POV

I sat on the bed across from Sam, debating in my head whether I should tell him or not. I'd made a deal with a freakin' demon. He was bound to find out sooner or later. And it would be better finding out from me rather than from Zara walking through the door.

"I made a deal!" I blurted out.

Sam looked at me in confusion, "What?"

"I think Zara's alive...because of what I did." Now that I was saying it out loud, I felt ashamed. I turned to a demon for help because I was too weak.

Sam began to laugh awkwardly, "Alright Dean, cut it out. I know you're joking."

I shook my head, sighing. "I really wish I was."

The room fell silent before he finally spoke up. "What have you done?"