21• It's Nandini Malhotra

A week later,

I walked out of the hospital, totally exhausted. I looked at my watch and I realized I had still an hour left before Manik would arrive to pick me up.

A small smile played on my lips as I remembered him.

Lately Manik had been too sweet to me. He woke up early for me and even came to pick me up late at nights. We had been too busy in our life but whenever he got time, he spent it with me. He would drop by the hospital at lunch times and have lunch with me. He even send me roses at times.

I had been noticing all his small small efforts and that made me feel special, every single time.

"Nandini." A familiar voice hit my ears and my smile dropped. I could feel a lump on my throat when I turned around to look at the voice owner.

I gulped the lump that had formed on my throat as I met his gaze. I didn't respond because I didn't know how to. I stood still, my steps frozen as I looked at his nearing figure.

"Since a few days I have been trying to contact you but it seems like luck wasn't on my side till today." Maddy said with a smile, the kind of smile which I loved years ago.

No the smile didn't affect me today like it did years ago. I sure felt sad because I had made a lot of memories with him. But it wasn't like the last time, something had surely changed. May be, just may be, I was healing.

"Yea I have been busy lately." I finally spoke out, gulping the lump.

"I guess you just got off duty." He paused for a while, probably waiting for my response. But I just stayed quiet. "Can we talk?" He spoke out.

"Now?" I was feeling uneasy about this whole thing. He wanted to talk with me all of a sudden after what he had done in the past.

"Yea there's a cafe nearby. We can go there."

"But-" I was cut in between. "Please Nandini just for few minutes."

I guess it was time I get over everything. So I just gave in. We went to the nearby cafe.

"One Latte and one Cappuccino." Maddy ordered. Sigh! He still remembers.

"I don't think your taste has change, has it?" Maddy spoke out softly. This made me even more conscious and uncomfortable.

But at the same time it made me think about Manik. He never made me feel so, not even for once.

"I can never forget your taste in food. They were always different than-" I cut him in between.

"I don't think we have come here to talk about this." I said in a firm tone, gulping the lump. His smile dropped and he looked at me sadly.

"I know whatever I did back then is not justifiable but I just wanted to say sorry. Sorry Nandini back then I was naive, I just got-"

"Maddy I don't need your explanations. I am married and I am trying to move on. And I would highly appreciate if you don't interfere in my life anymore."I wasn't lying. I meant what I said.

"Nandini I know you are married and all but I also know that your marriage wasn't your choice and you aren't happy with it."

"Excuse me? How can you be so sure?" My voice slightly raised. He was annoying me.

"When I am around, you just pretend. It's so obvious." He looked at me. "You can still come to me Nandini. You can just divorce him. Why stay in a forced relationship?"

That was it. I lost my calmness and ended up banging the table. "You are no one to say that to me. And let me make it clear I love him." These words just slipped from my lips but that moment I knew I meant it. I knew I loved him.

I stood up taking my bag as I walked away but he grabbed my hand and stopped me.

"Don't lie to me Nandini Murthy. I know you still love me." He said with a smug smile and that made me squirm a bit. But I wasn't backing off at least not now.

"I used to love you but not anymore. You know what, you disgust me." I looked over my shoulder and met his eyes. "And it's Nandini Malhotra." I jerked his hand away and walked away to the counter.

"Please cancel my order." I said with a sweet smile before leaving the cafe. Maddy didn't follow me.

As I came out of the cafe, I could feel my knees wobble. I may have acted strong but it hurt.

I walked towards the hospital and as I walked, I dialed his number and in just one ring he picked it up.

"Shall I come to pick you up right now?" He sounded excited and that did make me smile a little. But then I didn't even realize when my tears began to sway down my eyes.

"Are y-you b-busy?" I asked, fighting back my tears.

"Hey what's wrong?" His voice soft and soothing.

I swallowed my tears and tried sounding normal. "N-No it's nothing."

"I am coming to pick you up right away." He said and I could hear the sound of the closing door from his side. I could figure out he was hurrying out of his cabin.

"Manik it's n-not nee-needed." I said, trying to hold back my sobs but I failed miserably and I ended up cutting the call.

By then I was just outside the hospital. I wiped away my tears and tried hard not to break down but I just couldn't control it. A knot had formed in my chest.

I went to my cabin and as soon as I entered my cabin, drop by drop tears swayed down my eyes.

I hid my face in between my palms and let out all the frustration in form of tears.

He was my ex and he did cheat on me but how much I denied he did effect me. No I don't love him anymore but still it isn't so easy to get over things.

I had been crying when I heard the door click. "Nandini." Manik's voice hit my ears and I instantly raised my head to look at him.

My vision became even more blurry seeing him. In two long strides he reached me and hugged me tightly, hiding me in his embrace.

I instantly melted in his arms.

"Sssshhh." He patted my back and rubbed it slowly. I fisted his shirt in my hand and cried, burying my head in his chest. Being in his embrace, somehow gave me warmth and I wanted to let it all out.

"Hey don't cry. This will spoil your makeup and you might look like a ghost. I don't want my wife to look like that." Just like the last time he patted my head softly as he said so. And this time as well it made me smile in between my tears. (If you have forgotten then check out the chapter Blooming Love)

"I don't wear makeups." I said, hiccupping a bit as I hit his chest softly.

"Ouch that hurts." He said, dramatically, making me chuckle a bit. "See you even spoiled my shirt." He complained, like a child, making a bad face. I couldn't help but smile wider.

And that moment I knew his arms were where I belonged.