A New Beginning

In the rural but beautiful Pallet Town, there lived a young man who was about to celebrate his tenth birthday the following day. This boy was named Ash Ketchum, and he was very happy as he watched the Pokémon tournament on his personal television in his room. He watched with glee as he could only see in awe the inspiring battle.

Pokémon have been, ever since he could remember, spoken of as friends and partners to the humans, helping them with various tasks from constructing buildings to exploration. Many people take Pokémon with them on a journey to gather Badges and to compete in the various Pokémon League as Trainers, using them in battle against Pokémon both owned by other Trainers and found in the wild.

And that was Ash's dream, to become a Pokemon Trainer to then be the first Pokemon Master to ever live. He knew of many other people that had tried, but have never succeeded in accomplishing such a goal.

His thoughts were cut as he gasped in surprise at seeing the Pokémon being released from their respective Poké Balls. He loved each and every single Pokémon, though he had to admit that Pinsir, the Stag Beetle Pokémon, was his favorite so far.

"The red trainer releases Nidorino! Just who will the blue trainer release to counter such Pokémon?!" Ash began to think, beginning to think about the other Pokémon that would be released shortly. He may be a kid in age, but he was far more intellectual than others might think. He had been to various camps related to Pokémon, and even spent a few of his available time at Samuel Oak's, the professor of the Kanto Region, studying under him.

"Maybe a Psychic-type Pokémon?" Ash questioned himself, knowing that he was not going to get answered. But he didn't care, he was enjoying the battle, the beginning of it anyway, way too much to care if he was right or wrong. But when he saw the next Pokémon, his excitement went through the roof.

"And the blue trainer releases Gengar!" Ash saw how the video focused on both Pokémon glaring at each other, and was practically jumping in his bed. He saw just how the battle started, with both Pokémon jumping straight at each other.

"And Nidorino is starting the battle with Horn Attack!" Ash could see Nidorino's horn beginning to enlarge slightly as it gained a white-ish aura around it. The Poison Pin Pokémon managed to attack the Shadow Pokémon, only for the Nidorino to pass through the Gengar as if nothing happened.

"The red trainer seemed to forget that Normal-type moves are non-effective towards Ghost-type Pokémon" Ash grumbled, his excitement going down the moment he saw the attack being mentioned. He knew, even in his young age, the type advantages and disadvantages that Pokémon had. But his excitement skyrocketed as soon as he saw Gengar's eyes sparkle slightly. "And Gengar uses Hypnosis, putting Nidorino to sleep! Just-"

"Yes! A new Pokémon!" Ash saw just how the red trainer recalled his Nidorino, his face showing slight remorse for not thinking through his battle strategy correctly. Ash had to admit that changing the Pokémon mid battle was the best he could do at his current situation.

"And Nidorino is being recalled back. Just who will-" Ash widened his eyes in excitement at seeing the massive Pokémon being released, the one replacing Nidorino. He was visibly shaking, his hand getting sweaty from just the excitement he was feeling. "And it's an Onix! Just look at his height! It has to be the tallest Onix I have ever seen!"

 "Soon… That will be me, with my Pokémon…" Ash had a smile on his face as he looked down to his fist. It was clenched, his skin turning white pale as his eyes gained the determination he already had since realizing what he wanted to do. "Becoming the greatest trainer of all time… The unreachable title of Pokémon Master will be mine!"

In Kanto, young boys and girls that want to become Pokémon Trainers must be at least 10 year old to finally become a Pokémon Trainer, and Ash knew that tomorrow was finally the day of his tenth birthday. He even knew who he was going to pick out of the three starter Pokémon, a Charmander.