Chapter 1: The First Eye Glance

The school yard swarmed with children playing, some kids were fighting, most of it was harmless and playful fighting though, or that's what you want to believe. They're just kids after all, kids aren't evil.

I was only in 4th grade when I first heard about you, but I didn't think much of it back then.

"Did you know that the newcomer is coming today? He's pretty quiet, doesn't talk much to be honest," Dina said.

"How do you know that he's quiet?" I asked.

"David told me... he tells me everything," she said.

Oh right... but what about it, he's just a new kid.

David walked over to us, he was together with the new kid, from the exterior, he seemed rather aloof and shy, not very talkative.

"Hey David," Dina said eagerly, she seemed a little over the top, what was so exciting?

"This is Musa, the new kid," David tittered and scratched his back.

Musa didn't say anything or even tried to greet at least, he was just standing there, looking at us. Something different about his nature, somehow his way of being so quiet, seemed natural and in no way awkward, let's say that he was just quiet by nature. We just stood there and looked at each other.

I grabbed Dina by the arm "Well, we have to go now too," I said and walked away.

"Who were they?" Musa asked.

"My cousin Dina and her friend Ally, or we are all friends!" David laughed and gave Musa a friendly clap on the shoulder.

"Ally was excited to see you, I guess. She kept saying that she hoped for the newcomer to be a cute one, perhaps she's not disappointed after having seen you!"

Musa looked down on the ground with a wry smile on his face "yeah... that may be," he said and brushed his fingers through his hair.

After school

"Let's get David, we're going to my place today," Dina said.

I looked around after David, and he was already pacing down the rough stairs at the school entrance, he looked like he was in a hurry, even though we were just going to hangout at Dina's place, nothing special.

"huff huff huff..."

He finally reached us, he was panting and completely out of breath.

"Yo... are you okay? Why were you in such a hurry. It's not like we're leaving without you," I said.

"I was just looking forward to hear your opinion about Musa," he said teasingly.

"I'm sorry, you wasted your time. I don't really think much of him. He seems kind of reserved, and he's not that cute either."

"Auch, that was kind of harsh."

"Well, you were asking about my opinion, and you shouldn't go around, saying that I've a crush on the new guy, when I clearly don't, and I have never said anything about even having a crush on anyone."

"It was a joke, but I think you guys are a good match anyway," he laughed.

Dina opened the door to her apartment "Can you guys just stop teasing each other for a moment? I swear you guys don't do anything else than tease each other."

"As long as we're friends I won't stop," David said.

"And you think that we'll be friends forever?" I said.

"I never said anything about that," David said.

At that moment, I thought he meant that it's normal to grow from each other with time, I didn't think that it would lead to another outcome.

It's true that you never see the signs when they first show, you only realize them when it's too late, or when you least expect it.