twelve

I enter the lab as Shuri's music thumps away on the speakers. I tighten my grip on the black backpack slung over my shoulder, glancing around for her. I don't see her anywhere, but I do see someone else.

"Hey Kidara," Ulric calls out to me, walking towards me. I feel my heart fluttering around like a caged bird. God, why does he have to be so cute!

"Hi Ulric," I reply, trying to fix my hair. "Have-have you seen Shuri?"

"Uh, yeah. I saw her head down with the King. Probably showing him the new upgrades she's developed." Ulric says as he points down the ramp, giving me a knowing wink.

"Oh okay, thank you." I turn to head in that direction, feeling my heart about to explode.

"Hey, Kidara, I was thinking," Ulric says as he steps in front of me. Oh no, he's been thinking! "I was wondering if you were free," He pauses, running a shaky hand over his close-cropped hair, not making eye contact. "That you would want to go out... with me?"

I take a deep breath, feeling my cheeks heat up.

He wants to go out with me.

He wants to go out with me!

I don't know what to say... but I have to say something! I'm taking too long to respond.

"I'll-I'll think about it. I mean I'll see if I have some free time. I mean..." I internally groan at how stupid I sound. I take a deep breath, trying to get my thoughts in order. "I have to check and see, but I would lo-like to go out with you, yeah." Smooth.

"Okay," he says, nodding his head. "So just message me when you're free and... Yeah."

"Yeah. I'll message you." I say nodding my head a little too much. I shuffle around him, scurrying down the ramp. When I believe I'm out of earshot, I groan loudly. "I'm such an idiot."

I continue down until I see Shuri showing T'Challa two mannequins sporting two different necklaces of her creation. I see T'Challa make a face as he surveys the golden one. "Do you like that one?" Shuri asks.

"I told her the golden one was too flashy for your liking," I call out as I toss my bag onto one of Shuri's messy lab tables.

"There she is," T'Challa calls out, extending his arm out to me. I give him a half-hug before surveying Shuri's necklaces. My own biting into my collarbone. "I'm upset that we did not get to fight."

"Well, maybe I can kick your ass-I mean spar with you, later," I say leaning my arm onto the shoulder of one of the mannequins.

T'Challa chuckles at me before returning his attention to the mannequins. "It's tempting, but the idea is to not be noticed." He moves on to the second necklace. "This one."

"Who are you taking to Korea?" I ask as Shuri raises her wrist, syncing her kimoyo beads with T'Challa.

"Okoye and Nakia," he says as he glances over at Shuri.

"Really, you're bringing your ex?" I ask, raising an eyebrow at him. I knew he was an idiot, but I didn't think he was this much of an idiot.

"That's what I said," Shuri says, pointing a finger at me.

"Will you two stop." He says, shaking his head at us. "It's my choice and I chose Nakia."

Shuri and I share a look before turning to T'Challa. Shuri gestures to the mannequin. "Tell it to go on." She orders.

T'Challa raises his eyebrow but does as he's told, focusing his mind on the necklace. Suddenly a black combat suit pours from the necklace, covering the mannequin. "The entire suite sits within the teeth of the necklace." She gestures to it. "Strike it."

"Anywhere?" T'Challa asks. Shuri hums in response, taking a step back. I move around T'Challa to stand next to Shuri, watching him.

Clenching his fist, T'Challa gives it a swift kick in the abdomen. I release a shriek of laughter as the mannequin slams into the wall. "Not that hard, genius!" Shuri shrieks over my laughter.

"You told me to strike it," T'Challa says calmly, giving me a sly smile and a wink. "You didn't say how hard."

Shuri releases an annoyed huff as she goes to pick up the mannequin, bringing it back to where it originally stood. She glares at T'Challa as she mutters, "I invite you to my lab, and you just hit things around!"

"Well, maybe you should make it a little bit stronger. Wait a minute." T'Challa studies the spot where he struck it. Hey, how come he gets purple and all I get is grey!? Can we please take this 'everything has to be a variation of white because I'm the White Wolf' thing down a notch! Please!

"The nanites absorbed the kinetic energy and holds it in place for redistribution. I did the same thing to the suit I made for Kidara." Shuri brags as she gestures to the necklace around my neck.

I hold it up for T'Challa to study. T'Challa nods, seemingly pleased. Glancing back to his new suit, he strokes the spot he hit. "Very nice."

"Strike it again, in the same spot." Shuri orders as we take a couple of steps back. Shuri pulls up the camera on her kimoyo beads.

T'Challa glances at us, noticing how far away we moved and Shuri's camera. "You are recording?"

"For research purposes," Shuri says innocently, giving off a harmless shrug.

"I'm just glad it's not me this time," I mutter to Shuri as I study her camera screen.

"What was that?" T'Challa asks glancing at me.

"Nothing," I say, making eye contact with him. I wave my hand in his direction. "Go ahead."

T'Challa just shakes his head at us before focusing on the mannequin, kicking right in the same spot. T'Challa's then flung backward as the kinetic energy explodes right at him.

Shuri and I laugh out loud. Shuri's camera follows T'Challa as he slides on the floor. I grab ahold of her arm, trying to stay standing as I laugh hysterically.

Once T'Challa stops sliding, he points a stern finger at us. "Delete that footage!" He orders in his best kingly voice.

Shuri runs off with the recording, leaving me to crumple to the floor laughing.