five

I make my way down the halls, a book clutched under my arm. It's pretty late, I had lost track of time in the library.

The wind howls aggressively outside, as a thunderstorm rages over Wakanda. Lightning flashes against the windows followed by the boom of thunder shaking the glass.

From down the hall, a scream echoes against the walls.

I stop in my tracks as Shuri comes running out of her chambers. Her face is pale with fear. "Shuri," I say as she jumps. She runs at me, tackling me in a hug. I'm only eleven years old but she's almost as tall as me. I'm three years older than her, this isn't fair.

"Kidara, I'm scared." Shuri cries into my shoulder. I wrap my arms around her to comfort her. She jumps again, releasing a squeal of fear as thunder booms again.

"What's wrong?" T'Challa asks, standing in the doorway of his chambers. The light peaking from under the door means he was doing the same thing I was, reading.

"Shuri got scared by the thunder," I explain.

"No, it's not just that." Shuri whimpers, pulling away from me. "Mother and Father are supposed to be flying home tonight. But this storm is..." She trails off as she begins to hyperventilate. Mother and Father left yesterday for a diplomatic meeting, which is the reason why I got to read so late.

I wrap my arms around her again. She's afraid Mother and Father will crash because of the storm. To be honest, this is a pretty bad storm even for Wakanda's advanced technology. I glance at T'Challa as he comes to the same conclusion as I do. He opens his door wider and motions us in.

We follow T'Challa into his chambers, gesturing for us to join him in his bed. Shuri crawls in first, sitting as close as possible to T'Challa. I squeeze in next to her, pulling my book onto my lap, continuing where I left off.

Shuri leans her head onto T'Challa's shoulder as he continues to read, squeaking every time thunder booms outside. T'Challa mutters reassuring words to Shuri as the storm rages on. It's not long before she passes out from exhaustion.

"What are you reading? I have never seen that book in the library." T'Challa whispers to me. I turn my book to show him the cover. On it is the engraving of a wolf head. The sign of the White Wolf.

"It's the journal of the first White Wolf," I explain. "Father gave it to me to read. He says it will give me a general idea of my role as the White Wolf." I stroke my fingers over the engraving.

"So, are you ready to start your White Wolf training?" T'Challa asks.

"Well, I am the only white person in Wakanda. I don't have a choice." I say with a shrug of my shoulders. "Unless the Adira family wish to retake the mantle. But that's not likely."

"That's not what I asked."

I release a breath. "Were you ready when you started training to be the Black Panther?"

"In all honesty, I wasn't."

"You're lying," I say, giving him the side-eye. "You were practically raised from birth to be the Black Panther and king."

He nods his head. "Yeah, you're right." He chuckles. Shuri shifts, lifting her head off T'Challa and on to my shoulder. "How will you be trained?" He asks once Shuri settles.

"Father said once I turn twelve, I'll begin training with the Dora Milaje. And Zuri will tutor me on how I must conduct myself in ceremonies."

T'Challa releases a soft whistle. "Wow, training with the Dora Milaje. Nice." I nod my head. "You know, Father explained to me that when I'm to be King and we are having my challenge day, I'm to fight you."

"What?"

"Yeah. It is your job as the White Wolf to determine the worthiness of the King-to-be. So, if no tribe challenges me, we are to fight." A sly smile tugs at T'Challa's lips. "And just to let you know, when that time comes, I will not go easy on you, usisi omncinci." little sister

I chuckle at him. "But what would happen when I beat you, ubhuti omkhulu?" big brother

He chuckles at me. "Then you will rule Wakanda until ether Shuri is old enough or you deem me worthy."

"Then you better win T'Challa," I tell him as I flip through the journal, returning to my spot. I try not to show it, but I'm scared. Me fight T'Challa! Me rule Wakanda! No. I'm not ready for that.

T'Challa gives off a hum before asking, "So what's going on with you and that boy, Ulric Adira?"

"Nothing." I hiss. "Nothing is going on between me and Ulric." I pause before I continue with a sly smile. "What's going on between you and Nakia?"

"Nothing." He hisses back. We smile at each other, knowing full and well that something is going on.

I rest my head on top of Shuri's, continuing my reading. T'Challa shifts as he rests his head next to mine.

We sit like this until sleep takes me and T'Challa over too.