twenty

"Shuri, are you alright?"  I gasp, trying to check her for injuries.  Nakia runs up to us, blood dripping lightly down her arm.

   She waves me off.  "Yes, I'm fine."  She glances at me, her eyebrow knitting together.  "What did you do to your suit?"  

   I'm about to answer before she gasps, looking at my necklace.  "Kidara, you idiot!  You grabbed the prototype!"

   "How was I supposed to know?  There were three!"  I snap holding up three fingers.  "Why did you-"

   "Girls!"  Nakia interrupts, gesturing to the battle.  "Can you discuss this later?  We have something to do at the moment."  We both nod our heads as we hop up and run into battle.

   I activate my collapsible spear, jumping into the fight.

   I don't like this.  I know most of these guys.  I grew up with most of them.  Most of them are my friends.  There goes the guy who used to flirt shamelessly towards me.  There's the boy I used to spar with when I was training.  And there's the son of the Border Guard that found me.  I know every single one of them.

   But now every single one of them is trying to kill me.

   I try and take extra care of myself as my combat suit starts deactivating by itself.  Every hit hurts more than the one before.  My suit is slowly fading away.  And I'm silently cursing Shuri and her damn updates.

   I swing my spear at the guard I'm currently fighting.  He's aggressive, aiming for all the areas that aren't covered in armor.  Like I said if it's unarmored it's still fair game.

   He knocks the spear out of my hands, kicking me down.  He prepares to strike for the head, my head.  I throw my arms up, trying to offer some form of protection.

   Suddenly the headache I've been personally fighting is gone.  And nothing is attacking me.

   I peek up.

   He's gone.  Where'd he go?  You know what, never mind.  I don't want to know.

   I hop up, grabbing my spear and return to the battle.

   It isn't long before Shuri, Nakia, Okoye, the rest of the Dora Milaje and I are surrounded by the Border Guard.  They advance toward us, weapons and shield cloaks raised.  They have us backed into a corner.

   "Surrender now!"  W'Kabi shouts at us from atop his rhino.  "You have three seconds to lay down your weapons.  One!  Two!  Thre-" But W'Kabi is interrupted by a series of barking.

   I know of only one tribe that barks like that.

   M'Baku appears, lifting one of the Border Guards by his collar.  "Witness the might of the Jabari," he shouts.  "Firsthand!"  The man screams as M'Baku tosses him to the side like he's nothing.

   I feel a smile tug at my lips, happy for once to see the Jabari Tribe.

   From behind the Jabari attack the Border Guards, releasing us from the corner they have us shoved in.  The battle continues.

   "Phambili!"  Onward!  Okoye shouts as she advances.

   After a while, I see from the corner of my eye W'Kabi steering his rhino towards M'Baku.  "M'Baku, look out!"  I shout with a gasp.  I never thought I would say that.

   M'Baku freezes where he stands, watching the rhino barrel towards him.

   Suddenly, Okoye steps in the path of the rhino.  The rhino quickly stops inches from Okoye and licks her cheek affectionately.  M'Baku blinks at her before turning to me.  He gives me a curt nod of his head in thanks before running back into battle.

   I kick a guard back as W'Kabi dismounts his rhino, walking slowly to Okoye.  Okoye only glares at him.  "Drop, your, weapon!"  She snarls.

   "Would you kill me, my love?"  W'Kabi asks.

   "For Wakanda?"  Okoye teases the question before raising her spear to his chest.  "Without question."

   A guard swings his sword at me.  I spin around, hitting him in the sword arm.  I then kick him in the chest with one leg and aim for his head with the other while spinning.

   He ducks under my leg before swinging his sword at me again.  I arch back, dodging his swing while he thrusts his sword at me.  I grab his arm and sweep my leg behind his ankle, trying to get him to fall.

   He sees this coming and lifts his leg.  He grabs a hold of my wrist.  I slide under his arm and flip over his shoulder, trying to release his grip.  With my other hand, I grab my knife.  When I'm standing again, I thrust it under his chin, just stopping short of his throat.

   The Border Guard drops his weapon and raises his hands in surrender.  I glance around, noticing all the Border Guards have surrendered.

   It's over.