nineteen

The face of Ulric appears as he ushers us into the lab through a secret door. A secret door that can only be opened from the inside. "Come, hurry." He whispers as he glances around. "The Talon Flyers are prepared to leave, you must hurry!"

Shuri, Nakia, and Agent Ross rush to the main lab as I run down another hallway, Ulric on my tail. I slide to a stop in front of a panel. It's hard to notice if you're not looking directly at it or if you don't know where to look.

I enter my code, rushing into my weapons locker. Shuri had it added, a secret place where I can stash my weapons and she can continue to add on. 

I grab one of the three necklaces Shuri has made for me, putting it on. I rush over to grab two vibranium batons, a collapsible spear, and a small knife.

I turn to see Ulric watching me, framed by the light of the hall. I feel my cheeks heat up as I look back at him.

"You know," he says, breaking the silence between us. "I was really worried when I heard T'Challa had died. I was worried, I didn't know what had happened to you."

My heart flutters around. I command my suit to activate as I think through what I'm about to say. "Next weekend." 

"What?" Ulric asks, his eyebrows knitting together.

"I'm free next weekend," I explain, not activating my mask. "If you still want to-"

"Yes." He practically shouts, jumping a little bit. "Next weekend. Yeah! That's perfect. Yeah. Okay."

I giggle as I follow him out. "You should get out of here before something happens," I say as I turn to shut and lock the door. When I turn back around Ulric is standing close to me. I stare up at him as he stares down at me. My checks are heating up again. "Ulric..." I mutter, my voice quivering slightly. 

He's so close.

"Just promise me you'll stay safe." He mutters, his breath blowing some hair back. I nod my head, not taking my eyes off him.

He cups my chin and leans forward. His lips lightly brush against my cheek. I think my heart just stopped. When he pulls away, I brush my fingers on that check, not able to speak. Before I know it, he's rushing out of the lab. I just watch him go. I'm frozen.

He just kissed me.

Ulric just kissed me!

But the moment is broken by a squeal. And it isn't from me.

I turn to see Shuri, carrying her gauntlets and armor. The biggest smile is plastered on her face. "Did he just-"

"Shut up!" I snap, dropping my hand. I activate my mask so she can't see me blushing.

Nakia runs up, snapping us into action. "Come on girls, let's go!"

We rush after her, off to fight a Killmonger.

🐺

The door opens with us making a dramatic entrance.

Shuri raises her gauntlets, firing on two Border Guards.

"Go, go!" Nakia orders, waving us forward. We duck behind a crate as Shuri tosses a tracking disk on the Talon Flyer closest to us.

"I made it American style, get in." She orders Agent Ross down in the lab. I glance over to the fight that's already broken out between the Border Guards, the Dora Milaje, and T'Challa. "Go!" Shuri shouts over the comms at Agent Ross. The Talon Flyer lifts off, following behind the ones that have already left. "We can't let those weapons get out of Wakanda!"