Chapter One (Revised)

I have a hard decision to make.

My cutest top, or at least my most presentable one that doesn't call too much attention to me, is a long sleeve pink turtleneck. But unfortunately after a zillion times of wear, it now has a huge tear at the bottom and a couple of bleach stains scattered on it too. I can opt to wear one of my dads oversized sweaters but I don't want to do that. I don't want my first day at a new school to end up like my last one. In my old school, the boys used to make fun of me because my clothes were men's clothing from garage sales or hand-me-downs from my dad.

Instead I put on two layers of tank tops and go for my dad's old t-shirt. It's a little too big so I try to cover how big it is by tucking the hem of the shirt into my baggy jeans. Yea it looks dorky and awful but it'll have to do.

Next, I move onto my untamable mess of a hair. My hair isn't exactly curly but it's not straight either, it just lays as an indecisive heap on the top of my head. But right now it's frizzy and crisp to the touch, no matter how hard I try to comb it through, it only gets poufier and wilder. So I just wrap it into a high pointy tail and call it a day.

Staring in the mirror, I'm nervous, and it shows a lot. I take a couple of puffs from my inhaler and then put it back in my pocket. I can do this. Just relax. This time it'll be different, this time I'll have friends. See? It's all good, lets just practice:

"Hi! My name is Angeline, I'm new here. Can we be friends?"

No that's stupid, I sound desperate.

"Hi I'm Angeline, wanna hang out sometime?"

No! That's too fast, too soon.

"Hi! My name's Angeline, I just moved here, mind if I sit here?"

Hmmm, at least that sounds better than the last two?

Do I show my teeth when I smile? Or would that make me look insane? Closed mouth? But then what if I look like an uptight biotch. No smile? But that's creepy.

Whatever I'll figure it out when the time comes.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!!

I jump up, startled, the sound of my alarm obstructing my thoughts.

Oh crap! I'm gonna miss the bus!

Running down the stairs, I quickly whip up some coffee and toast for my dad and get an apple for myself.

"BYE DAD! LOVE YOU!" I shouted and closed the door just as the yellow school bus pulled up around the corner. Getting on, I note that there are only like five other kids in total, and they're all... staring at me... and sniffing there air.

Oh my god. Do I smell!? I made sure to take a shower this morning! Granted all I could use was my dad's male shampoo, didn't even have any conditioner, that's why my hair was always such a crispy mess. But it's still soap! I sit down in the first empty seat and quickly turn my head away. I hate attention.

After two more stops, the first thing I notice about my new school is how small it is in comparison to my old school. Second, was how it was surrounded by a tirade of greenery, all types of trees, evergreens, and bushes encircled the building. Third, was how insanely fit and beautiful everyone was. I kid you not, everyone looked like they could be on the cover of a sports magazine or walking a red carpet. All boys and girls alike were tall, lean, and had tanned clear skin. That was surprising, for such a cold green place they looked like they spent all their time in the sun, or at least their weekends in a tanning booth.

And they too...were all staring at me.

All the model-worthy girls took in my appearance, looked at each other, and then burst into laughter. If I thought I looked anything remotely presentable before, I realize now I actually look like a freaking nuisance in comparison to everyone else. I hoped no one noticed how red my face must be.