Chapter Two

At lunch I was comforted by the idea that I knew I'd at least have a lunch buddy, Jean invited me to sit with her.

The way the cafeteria was set up, there's the north end and the south end. Besides all your average cliques, it seemed the more popular you were meant that you sat at the north end of the cafeteria. Jean's table was located in the south end, I was surprised to see the girl from gym amongst Jena's table, along with two other girls and a guy. Jean introduced them as Derek, Sammy, Ulisa, and Angelica. It appears as though Derek and Angelica were in a relationship from the way they googly-eyed each other the whole lunch period. That's cute.

A couple things Jean made adamant to me in lunch was to A) make sure I stayed in my lane. Apparently, their school already had a hierarchy system in place that was very set in stone. B) was to stay out of Vivienne's shit list, but Ulisa ready explained that one to me in gym. C) and most important was;

"Never, ever, EVER cross Keenan Hallins. Ever."

"Who?"

"He's the next- he's just a big deal in this town, his dad practically runs it. They could destroy your reputation, they could destroy you financially, even legally with the number of connections they have."

"How does one person have so much power? Which one is he? How will I know who he is?"

"I haven't seen him all day actually, he's probably not here. But you'll definitely know it's him when you see him. He's impossible to miss."

Just a couple hours ago, my hope coming here was to gain hundreds of friends and make my experience here the opposite of what it was in my old school. But by the way Ulisa and Jean are talking, it'd be best to fly under the radar instead. No worries, I'm an expert at that.

I learned a lot of things about my friend Jean, too. She's also never been outside Chambers either and says the first thing she wants to do when she graduates is to travel the world. She has big aspirations and I felt so excited for her just hearing her talk about it. Another peculiar thing I noticed, was that on the inside of her wrist, was a name. It wasn't a tattoo but looked like it was carved into her skin. The carving read the name 'Eric'.

———————————————————————

7th hour was my last class of the day, so far I would count today as a success, and now I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the school year.

My 7th-hour teacher Mrs. Howard directed me to sit all the way in the back in an empty black science table meant for two. The bell rings and everyone gets seated, I note that Vivienne and her friend Savannah are in this class, as well as some of the jocks I recognize from their cafeteria table. Vivienne and Savannah sat in a table near the front, while the guys sat at the table directly in front of mine.

Mrs. Howard was already more than halfway through attendance when the classroom door swung open, and a boy comes in. No, not a boy, but a full-grown man! His massive build overpowered the size of the class and hard muscles covered every inch of his body. He had a strong angular jaw and his eyes were as black as the night sky and his hair was just as dark but trimmed short. His height easily toward everyone in the school, and not to mention that he was possibly the most gorgeous human being I've ever seen in my entire life. His face alone must've been carved and chiseled by the gods themselves. After ogling his very defined features, our eyes connected, and I felt like someone just kicked in my ribs.

An overwhelming emotion I've never felt before overcame me, and I could only hear my heartbeat beating loud and fast in my own ears. I couldn't understand anything other than I wanted to jump into his arms and stay there forever.