Chapter Three

The next day at school, I felt something was off. Yesterday some people ignored me but some people also gave me acknowledging looks. Now? People avoided me like the Black Plague, no one would dare stand within a ten-foot radius of me.

    Do I actually smell? Am I that repulsive?

    Even Jean, who I thought would be my new best friend, wouldn't talk to me. I saw her walking down the hall and smiled, she didn't return it, only reverted her eyes away and kept walking on.

    In art, I tried to engage in a conversation with her and my table members but they wouldn't even answer my questions with one-worded answers. They just pretended I didn't exist.

    My friend in Gym wouldn't talk to me either. Unbeknownst to me, I shared this class with not only Vivienne but also Keenan, Tanner, Alan, and some of their closest friends too.

    If I had thought Vivienne ran the school, I was absolutely and unquestionably wrong. The real undeclared ruler of this school was Keenan, everyone listened and hung onto his every word, all adults and students alike. His influence was prominent and unmistakable. He got full reign and first pick in all subjects and with all teachers, he'd even command people around him to do what he wanted and they did it without question or hesitation. It was unnerving to watch.

    I didn't know how, but I knew this sudden isolation was his doing. He really didn't like me.

    But I didn't want to just accept it either. I couldn't accept that this would be my life now.

    After changing into my new PE clothes, I stood outside the locker room door, waiting. This could be either the worst or best idea of my life.

    Who am I waiting for you ask?

    Vivienne.

    The hope here is that if I can get on Vivienne's good side, and explain myself, that by default she could convince Keenan I wasn't a threat or opposed to the fixed system they have in place. And then hopefully stop hating me?

    That's the hope at least.

    "Vivienne, can I talk to you?

    Immediately her supermodel face turns into an expression of distaste.

    "What do you want Vermin?"

    "I just think we misunderstood each other, and I wanted to clear the air."

    She gave me a blank stare.

    "I wanted to say I'm sorry about how I... acted yesterday. I didn't mean to overstep my boundaries." Personally, I don't think I did anything wrong, but this is not the first ass I've had to kiss to get someone to leave me alone. I know how it goes.

    She said nothing, just kept staring at me with the same blank stare until suddenly, like a flash of lightning, her face broke out into a scary grin. Showing all of her pearly teeth.

    "Oh my gosh! You're totally right! And I know EXACTLY how you can make it up to me!"

    Whoa, what?!

    "I want you to come to my party that's this Saturday night."

    Saturday night? That's tomorrow.

"I don't think I'll be able to." My dad never lets me go out.

    She gave me another blank stare, "do you want to be friends or not?

"Yea but I-"

    "Cool! I'll see you there then! Savannah will give you the address."

    She was gone before I could say anything else, weird. I've never been or been invited, to a high school party before. Maybe if I beg my dad he'll let me go just this once?