« four »

I basically owe you guys two chapters now since I didn't update yesterday (I have my reasons) but I'll try to get back into updating regularly without going behind.

The red blocky numbers read 3:45 and yet Ryan was still gone.

The power was still out, learning from his mother that it'll be back on in an hour or so, the storm has died down a tad but was still raging on and over twenty minutes ago Ryan went to make a call and yet has decided to come back.

Soft music lured into Joshua's ears as he waited patiently, not noticing a tiny softball of an intruder clumsily trying to climb the bed. Joshua jumped in surprise when he felt a wet nose bump into his arm, taking out an earbud and cooing silently.

"Hey little bub, what are you doing in here?"

The little pup wagged his tail excitedly and yipped at Joshua, grabbing onto Joshua's pants and trying to pull the dark-haired boy off the bed; getting a confused look from Joshua.

"What? Got something to show me?"

That only seemed to excite the pup more who still tried to pull Joshua off the bed, barking up at the boy who picked him up and got off the bed.

"Show me, Jim."

Jim wiggled in Joshua's arms as he put him down, Jim practically bolted out the room as Joshua followed him; leading him towards the bathroom where Jim pawed at the door.

"In there?"

Jim ran in a circle before yipping up at Joshua who picked up the excited pup, quietly listening if he could hear anything and sure enough, Joshua could hear two hushed voices behind the closed door. He knew one of them was Ryan and by listening closely, he figured the other one was Brendon.

How the hell did Brendon get in?

Joshua told the little pup to quiet down before hesitantly knocking on the door, instantly hearing silence. Joshua felt his heart pick up a little bit when no one spoke for a few minutes but that silence went away when Ryan spoke up.

"Hello?"

Joshua sat the pup down who ran off before looking back at the door.

"Ryan?"

He could hear Ryan say something to Brendon before opening the door and poking his head out, giving Joshua an apologetic smile.

"Sorry I've been taking so long, what's up?"

Joshua could see the silhouette of Brendon just a tiny bit but snapped his gaze away and looked back at Ryan.

"I was just wondering what was taking so long, you never act this weird when we hang out."

Ryan looked back when a small growl emitted and Joshua raised his brows a bit, Ryan glanced back at Joshua.

"I'll be back in a moment."

That's when Ryan closed the door and that's when Joshua decided to take his leave, slowly walking away with his gaze locked on the door before quickly jogging back to his room.

-

As Ryan said, he did return not so long after, having a little Jim following behind. It was quiet when Ryan entered and it was still quiet when Ryan sat down at the edge of Joshua's bed with Jim clumsily climbing onto the bed as well.

Saying that it wasn't awkward would have been a lie because it most definitely was. Jim seemed to pick up on it and looked between the two boys before happily walking his way towards Joshua and plopping himself down in his lap.

Ryan broke the silence only a few minutes after.

"Sorry for taking so long, I had to call someone back and I didn't think it would've taken that long."

Joshua nodded his head and watched as the little ball of energy went off to sleep, thinking back to the growl he heard but he brushed it off.

"It's completely fine, don't have to apologize for it."

Ryan smiled and got off the bed, picking up his backpack and placing it on the bed before digging something out of it.

"So, since it's still storming and the powers out, wanna go out and explore?"

Since Ryan loved storms, he always went out to the forest not that far from his house, sometimes bringing Joshua along.

Ryan pulled out his flashlight as Joshua climbed out of bed, placing the sleeping Jim off to the side.

"Sure, going to change clothes though, I don't think pyjamas are suitable for this kind of weather."

Five minutes later Joshua and Ryan were out of the house, staring in awe like little kids when strikes of lightning would jump from cloud to cloud.

The only thing that made Joshua uncomfortable, was feeling a gaze locked onto the back of his head.