Chapter Eleven

After a long night of celebration, all of the bandits and the travelers were sound asleep around the subtle fire. The sun was beginning to rise and the morning fog was settling over the camp. Jack slowly awoke and sat up with a sudden throbbing pain in his head. He held his head and slowly stood up. He has not remembered the last time he drank so much. Quietly, he crept over everyone, trying not to awaken them. He looked down and found Luna asleep peacefully in Spot's arms. He grinned, amazed at what his friend, the Prince of Brookville, has gotten himself into. The Prince was in a difficult situation and could not determine whether this escape to freedom would last. Poor peasant girl, Jack thought, of how little she knew whom she has grown amorous with. He could not possibly run away forever nor can they stay peasants. It was uncertain of what was to become of them once they reached Lunerford.

He continued to walk over the sleeping bandits and headed toward the creek among the forest. Suddenly his path was blocked by an awakened bandit, "Going somewhere, peasant lad?" He asked.

"I am just going toward the creek so I may wash up. Do you mind?" Jack replied. The bandit nodded and let him pass.

The creek was flowing with ease and the sounds of birds were chirping. Jack knelt down and washed his face with the coolness of the water. He looked up, admiring the brilliant forests in which he has never taken the time to appreciate the beauty outside the kingdom. He gazed at the blue sky above the trees. However, there were dark clouds that hovered far yonder. They were not clouds at all. Rather, they were clouds of smoke, lifting above the forests. There must be a fire somewhere, he thought. "Blast!" He panicked, in fear it would soon strike their camp, he quickly got up and ran to wake the others.

"Sir David, Spot, everyone!" He panicked as they all were abruptly awakened from their peaceful slumber.

"Get up!" Jack said as he nudged Spot.

"What is it?" Spot asked groggily, "It is much too early to begin our journey..."

"No! I saw a cloud of smoke over the forests headed East!" he said.

Suddenly, Sir David quickly sat up. "Did you say East of this forest?"

"Yes." Jack replied. David was immediately wide awake.

"Everyone! Gather your belongings now!" David called out, "We pick up camp and head over to Yorkridge!" Everyone got up and began packing up quickly.

"Yorkridge?" Luna asked.

"Yes." David said, "A small village, past amongst the dark forest. I shall explain later." He gathered his bandits and rushed them into an early start.

The travelers and the bandits reached their way to a small village, Yorkridge, which stood among the dark forests, or rather, it did. The bandits remained behind in the forest to watch their wagons. The others walked to enter the village and David stood astonished of what became of it. It was deserted and burnt down to the ground. The people must have all fled from the burning village. Small shacks were turned black and dying flames were still ignited among the rubble. The smoke that Jack saw over was coming from here and they were too late to stop this from happening. Everyone stood in sadness and anger at this sight.

"Who would do such a thing?" Luna frowned. David remained silent, trying very hard to hide his fury from the others. It was certain Morris and his henchmen would burn down such a small village. They all walked further among the burnt remains. The only thing that stood tall was a stone building, which the fires of the interiors were dying down. They all were searching around, for any sign of survivors, but it was all empty. Luna walked beside Spot and David. David's expression grew weary in suspicion. Luna looked up to glance at him and wondered what would make him so angry. She knew it was more than finding a burnt village.