Chapter Twelve

The bandits were riding among the dark forest, hoping that whatever was back at the village has gone. Luna sat among the barrels she hid with, worried about her Spot and the rest of the lads who were left behind in the village with those evil men. The Princess prayed they were unharmed and were alive, but her heart sank in agony over the worse that can happen. It would not do. She had to do something.

"Wait!" She stood up. "Stop! Please!"

Blink halted the horses and asked, "What is it, Luna? You must stay low! David told me..."

"I do not care what he said." She interrupted. "We have to go back!"

Then the others stopped as well and Johanna , Skittery, and Rena came out of their wagons.

"What's going on? Why have we stopped?" Rena asked.

Blink ignored her and said, "Luna, Sir David told us to take you to Lunerford. He can take care of himself."

"No!" the Princess slammed her hand on one of the barrels in anger. "Turn around this instant!"

"Are you mad?" Blink was getting impatient. "There was a reason why Sir David told us to go! He sent us away from danger and we promised to protect you..."

"I am not going to stay here and argue." Luna said as she hopped down from the wagon and walked the opposite direction, "I am going back myself and if you do not want to help them, then I will!" She continued walking quickly then suddenly Rena ran over to her. "Don't even think about leaving without me." She grinned.

"Me too!" Johanna said.

"Count us in!" Mischief and the other girls jumped down from their wagons and ran over to join them.

There was suddenly a crowd of girls following Luna to head back to the village and the men stood still staring at them. The girls turned around and glared at them.

"Well, are you coming or not?" Mischief narrowed her eyes at the men.

Bumlets looked over at her and glanced back at the bandit men. He shrugged. "We cannot possibly let you girls go off alone."

Blink shook his head and hesitated for a moment, "Oh alright, get in the wagons. We go back to Yorkridge." Luna and the girls smiled in satisfaction and walked back to the wagons.

Luna and the bandits went back to the deserted village. As Blink halted the wagon in front of the entrance, all the bandits stood astonished of what has happened to the village. Luna hopped down from the wagon and motioned the bandits to stay where they were. She entered the village with caution and as quiet as it was before there were no sign of Spot, Jack, Race, or Sir David anywhere. Luna felt herself growing weak and terrified from thinking what could have happened to them. She glanced around, hoping to find something. Suddenly she saw a dark figure kneeling among the ruins. She walked closer and recognized him, "Sir Mush Myers?"

Mush sensed it was the Princess but did not turn to look at her. He stood frozen, staring with hurt in his eyes at the burnt rubble and the remains. Luna stood back as she had the feeling that this village had meant something to him. For a few moments, they stood silent until Mush finally spoke. "This was my family's village."

"I am very sorry" Luna said.

"God only know where they had fled to."

"Sir David knew this village as well."

"I grew up here with David."

"You knew him?" Luna asked in surprise.

"Yes." He answered. "This is all my fault. Your Highness, I am sorry I have wronged you."