Chapter 5: Angry Apple Pie

The next day I came to the host club a little early since I'd been let out of school early. I cleaned up the room so that it was spotless and I felt I could breath a little easier as the smell of antiseptic spray lingered in the air. I was just finishing cleaning when kyoya and tamaki walked in. i was carefully climbing down the ladder i had used to clean the tops of the windows when tamaki, not noticing the ladder, bumped into it. i squealed and held on to the now swaying ladder for dear life, it began to fall over when kyoya steadied it for me. 

i sighed in relief as i quickly got down, i didn't worry about the boys seeing up my dress since i was wearing tights underneath. my hair bounced around me as i smiled at kyoya and said "oh mr. ootori come try the dessert i made you yesterday i want to know if it is to your liking." i didn't wait for his response as i skipped into the kitchen stripping off my rubber cleaning gloves and replacing them with my normal silk ones.

 i went to the fridge and got out what looked to be a normal apple pie but it had a K.O on the side telling me it was the special apple pie i'd made for kyoya. i cut a small piece for kyoya and put it on a plate handing it to him with a fork. he looked at it sceptically but when he noticed my encouraging look he took a bite. he didn't really show his reaction but i knew better. i could see the surprise and enjoyment in his eyes as he swallowed the bite and said "it's spicy."

 i nodded in a sort of 'duh' way and said "exactly mr. ootori, you don't like sweets but you do like spicy foods so i made you what i like to call an angry apple pie." i thought he was going to ask how i knew he liked spicy and not sweet but instead he asked "where did you learn this recipe?" i didn't expect the question so i was a bit taken aback.

i smiled at the memory of my mother teaching me how to bake as i said "like i said before sweets make me feel sick to my stomach. however i've always loved spicy foods, so when i was little my mother would teach me how to make spicy desserts instead. she came up with the recipe for 'angry apple pie' and would make one for me on my birthday every year.

"nobody but me and my mom could stand how spicy we would make it but dad and haru would always force down a piece on my birthday. it was nice, one year i made it so spicy dad cried and his mouth turned bright red, not even mom could stand eating more then a piece that year but i loved it." i giggled at the memory but blushed when i noticed kyoya was staring at me. i cleared my throat as i continued "anyway, i haven't made one in a while now so this was a perfect opportunity. if your guests don't like it i have plenty of sweets to go around."

kyoya nodded and went to walk out of the kitchen as he said "thank you, it's quite good. i'll eat some during club, make sure to ask before giving it to any guests, not many people like such spicy foods... if you have the time and you want to, during club you can sit and have a piece. Not many customers will like such a spicy dessert so you won't owe anything for eating some." he was turned away from me so i couldn't tell but i couldn't help thinking there was a small possibility kyoya was blushing at that moment.

my smile grew at the offer and i said "i'll keep that in mind kyoya, thank you." he walked out and I started getting ready for the day. When every host had a dessert and I had warned the girls about my angry apple pie I decided I could afford a break. I walked out and went over to kyoya's table where my angry apple pie sat, he was nearby selling stuff to some customers. I cut myself a reasonably sized piece and got a fork, sitting down at the table. I took a bite and sighed at the familiar taste of the spicy pie, there was a slight undertone of sweetness but not enough to make me sick.

I took long slow bites of the pie savoring it. I probably wouldn't make the pie again for a while unless requested to. I hadn't noticed kyoya had come back to the table and sat down with his laptop until I had eaten half my piece of pie and decided to open my eyes. I looked over at him catching him eyeing me until he cut himself a small piece of pie and began to eat it while typing away.

I smiled and blushed as I took notice that about half of the pie had been eaten. I remembered seeing kyoya and honey each with a piece earlier and three girls had shared a piece as well. so kyoya had had at least two pieces counting the one he was eating now. I was happy he liked it even if it seemed nobody else did. I hadn't expected it to be popular since desserts are supposed to be sweet and not spicy.

I quickly finished the piece and said "thank you for letting me have a piece, Mr. Ootori." he glanced up at me, his eyes lingering for a second as he said "your welcome, miss fujioka. If there's any left at the end of the day feel free to bring it home for ranka."

haruhi walked over and said "wait you made your pie for the club, shin? You haven't made that since mom died, what's the occasion?" I blushed a bit as I said "no occasion haru I just thought kyoya might like it since he doesn't eat sweets. I'll get you a piece if you want but I know you don't like it." she smiled and said "I'll have a small piece, I barely remember what it tastes like but I remember that one year you gave dad chemical burns from how spicy you made it." i giggled and said "yeah you guys just can't handle the heat like mom and I can, it barely even burnes us..." i trailed off realizing I was talking about mom as if she were still here.

I sighed and said "I'll bring you a piece haru, go back to your guests." i cut a small piece of pie for haru as she walked back to her guests. I ignored kyoya's curious gaze as I brought haru the piece of pie and then went back into the kitchen. I spent the rest of my time at the club serving customers and cooking. I luckily got done just as the club was finished. It took a moment for me to store all the sweets away before I walked out. I turned to kyoya and Haruhi who were getting their stuff and said "I'm going to an expo across town bye." before kyoya could try and drop me off or make me panic over my families health I ran out of the club room.

I jumped into the taxi I'd called before and said "to the expo on the other side of town!" he looked at me oddly over the seat but began to drive. I looked down and realized my bare skin had touched the seats. I quickly began to panic as I took out my anti-bacterial lotion that kyoya had given me. I used it on my face and the small section of my thighs that was showing. I made sure my thighs were not touching the seat after that and sighed. It took a good thirty minutes for the driver to get to the expo I thanked him and paid him before getting out of the car.

I straightened out my clothes and made sure I had my bag tightly shut. The expo was in an lower class neighborhood so it was a definite possibility someone would try to pickpocket me or steal my bag. However that also meant a lot more people would try to pass off fake goods as the real thing. Sure there was a good chance none of these people would have enough money or means to pay me back anything good but they were still contacts that would owe me and that's all I needed.