Chapter 7: Tea And Talk

When we got to my home the driver opened the door for us as a crowd quickly began to form. I sighed as I stepped out and my landlady ran up to me. She got far too close for comfort as she said "shin dear! Who owns that expensive limo? Would you like me to call the police? You haven't gotten involved with the yakuza have you?" luckily kyoya pulled her out of my personal space gently and gave her a charming smile as he said "hello miss, I'm kyoya ootori, a friend of shins. I was simply driving her home because I was worried about her walking all this way alone."

I can't say I expected anything different to happen as my landlady swooned and offered to bring over some treats for kyoya later. She walked off looking flustered and mesmerized. I couldn't help but chuckle lightly and say "thank you Mr ootori. Would you like to come up for some tea before you go?" kyoya seemed to debate with himself for a moment before he finally nodded and said "I suppose one cup of tea couldn't hurt. Even if it is commoners tea." I ignored his comment and lead him up the stairs and to my home.

I unlocked the door and went in. I grabbed a can of disinfectant I kept at the front door and took off my shoes spraying them thoroughly. I sprayed my feet as well before turning to kyoya. My smile was apologetic as I said "would you mind? I just..." he nodded and took the can, he took off his shoes and sprayed them before then spraying his entire body down after. I was shocked for a second that he was being so thorough, However it only served to make me like him more. I nodded and said "thank you. Come in, make yourself comfortable. I'll get the tea." I gestured towards the living room before going into the kitchen area.

I grabbed some of my special tea that I'd gotten from one of my many favors. It was my favorite tea but it was rare and hard to find so I didn't often drink it. I made the tienchi flower tea and brought it out to kyoya who was looking at my mother's shrine. I set down the tray of tea, I'd used some of my fine China as well. I hoped it wasn't obvious that I was taking out all the stops for him. I'd never usually use my tea or my fine china unless it was a special occasion. But I couldn't help wanting to make kyoya comfortable and healthy. Besides tienchi flower tea has many health benefits, once kyoya drinks it he will be much healthier and I won't have to worry so much.

I knew it didn't work that way but it made me feel better to think it did. I took one of the cups and set it in my mother's shrine. I took a cup for myself and sat across from kyoya as he mirrored my actions. He took a sip and I noticed a slight surprised look enter his eyes before it disappeared and he asked "is this tienchi flower tea?" I simply nodded, not surprised that he knew what it was. I noticed his small smile as he took another sip before setting the tea down and saying "if I may ask, how come your family are still commoners? With how successful your favors seem to be you could probably be living in a five star mansion wherever you wanted." I thought for a moment before I answered "well first, what could be worth a mansion? I don't do very big favors Mr ootori. Most of my favors involve saving someone from buying a knock off for to high a price, making sure a child gets back to its family safely, returning left possessions and saving people from falling. The most valuable thing I've ever gotten from a favor was when one man gave me 200,000 yen for saving his son from being hit by a bus. I used the money to fix up my father's old motorcycle and splurge on a handmade designer dress. Not my most charitable moment but I wanted something of high quality for myself."

I took a sip of tea before continuing "also as you know I'm a neat freak, I don't usually trust others to clean for me and it would be exhausting to live in a mansion. I would have to quit school simply to clean all day every day and even then I'd never be satisfied. Just speaking of it makes me feel exhausted. It also reminds me that this place needs a thorough cleaning." i sighed and glanced around the room in disgust. Before returning a steady gaze to kyoya as he said "interesting. I wonder how you can stand to be in the commoners school. I've heard they aren't nearly as clean as private schools." i nodded in agreement and said "in truth I hate every second I'm anywhere but home. However my mother always told me it's better to push threw the uncomfortable feeling and try to experience life like everyone else. She also told me I'd never find a husband if I couldn't at least leave the house to get groceries. Because of her words I can tolerate being anywhere so long as I eventually get to go home."