Chapter 1

For My Family
Second Chances

~ Brought To You By A Drunk Birdy ~

In the midst of the night, most people would be asleep or reading a story late at night when they should be sleeping. But that had never stopped criminals from executing their plans before, in fact, it gave them an advantage instead.

Unfortunately, Roman Torchwick's latest crime had been put on hold when a teenage girl with a scythe broke through a window while dropkicking on of his men. Looking out the window she had broken through, he watched as the girl's weapon folded out into a scythe that was clearly much bigger than her.

Roman: Okay... Get her.

Following their orders, the three goons left standing ran out through the door instead of through the broken window right in front of them. Slamming her scythe in the ground, the hooded girl, Ruby, spun using the handle of her scythe, allowing her to kick the first of the goons in the chest.

With her last spin, Ruby pulled her scythe out of the ground while two other two goons ran toward her. Pulling a trigger on her scythe, it shot out a bullet and made her spin before hitting one goon away with the blunt end of her scythe and crushing another goon into the ground with the same side.

Last but not least, the goon that Ruby had kicked out the window earlier tried to shoot at her, but she used her scythe's built-in sniper to propel herself out of the way of each stream of bullets. Then, she pulled the trigger once more and knocked the last goon off his feet before he was swatted away like a fly.

The goon landed at Roman's feet while he stood in front of the store and had done nothing throughout the entire fight. Meanwhile, Ruby landed just a few paces in front of the ginger criminal.

Roman: You were worth every cent, truly you were.

Taking his cigar out of his mouth, Roman walked toward Ruby and dropped his cigar, only to crush it with the bottom of his cane.

Roman: Well, Red, I think we can all say it's been an eventful evening. And as much as I'd like to stick around,

Raising his cane, the bottom of it lifted up to reveal the barrel of the gun built into it while the bottom doubled as a sight.

Roman: I'm afraid this is where we part ways.

Pressing the hidden trigger on his cane, Roman shot out what looked like a flare, but when Ruby jumped out of the way and it collided with the ground, the projectile exploded and broke up the cement.

Landing on the ground once again, Ruby had lost sight of the crook and looked around, only to see him climbing up a ladder. Seeing the shop owner in her peripheral, Ruby turned her head slightly to see him holding himself up against the frame of the building's door.

Ruby: You okay if I go after him?

Nameless Shop Keeper: Uhuh.

Running off, Ruby had used another round from her weapon to propel herself up to the rooftop, just a few seconds after Roman finished climbing the ladder.

Ruby: Hey!

Roman: Persistent.

Looking at Roman's back, Ruby had done nothing while an aircraft rose from the streets and above the rooftops. While the aircraft's spotlight had shone in Ruby's face, Roman quickly climbed into the ship and grabbed a red Dust crystal out of his pocket.

Roman: End of the line, Red!

Watching Roman throw the crystal, Ruby witnessed a red blur shoot out from the side of her scythe, quickly expanding and forming into the shape of a person. That said person grabbed the red crystal before it had hit the ground with his left hand while Roman continued with his plan and shot another round from his cane.

In the blink of an eye, the man deflected the bullet with the swing of a sword. Turning around slowly, he let Roman switch places with the pilot while his body fully formed, showing Ruby who her savior looked like.

The most noticeable of features was his white and red mask shaped like the skull of a Grimm as it covered all of his facial features except for his red eyes that were glowing ominously. Aside from that, Ruby could see unruly black hair while he wore very simple black clothes lined with red. But she had admired the cylindrical container attached to his left hip more than anything else, though she wondered what it held within it.

And without saying a word, the man's body had glowed red as it seemed to become dust and blew away with the wind.

Meanwhile, Cinder Fall had taken up Roman's spot and a blonde woman dressed as a modern witch had landed in front of Ruby. Using her riding crop, Glynda had made a small storm appear above the aircraft with just a flick of her riding crop.

Then, icicles started to fall from the clouds, shaking and piercing the aircraft's hull. In retaliation, Cinder slid her hand on her sleeve, gathering dust into her palm. Throwing that dust, Glynda had deflected it with a barrier, but the dust had splat all over the ground before exploding in a pillar of flames.

Flipping backward, Glynda used the rubble to form an arrow to launch at her opponent and when she did launch it, Cinder broke it using a volley of fireballs. But Glynda had only reformed the projectile, and this time, Roman had turned the vehicle so all the rubble hit the roof of the ship.

Still not giving up, the Huntress just turned the rubble into three snake-like attacks, but Cinder had used a shockwave of sorts to turn all the rubble into mere ash.

Trying to help, Ruby had transformed her scythe into its rifle form and shot a few rounds aimed at Cinder, only for each of the attacks to be blocked effortlessly. Fed up with the fight, Cinder had created five circles in an arc at the two's feet, each of the circles howling before it burst into a pillar of flames.

Luckily, Glynda had expected the attack and used her Semblance to push Ruby out of the way while she had tumbled forward to dodge the attack. Watching the criminals fly off into the distance, Glynda turned her head slightly to look at Ruby as the young girl got up from the ground.

Ruby: You're a Huntress...

Now, Glynda turned to look Ruby with an extremely bored expression.

Ruby: Can I have your autograph?

~ BTYB Ruby the fangirl ~

A/N: Upon request, I have started to rewrite this story. But remember, updates will be whenever possible, which will hopefully be twice a week if I can stay on schedule.

But, what did you think?