51 | The Rat

a/n: What... constitutes a mature-rated Wattpad book... asking for a friend... 😳

Lennie and Joanna collided in the water. Jamie cursed as splashing ensued, and in the turmoil, the guys with them were made aware of the fight and gathered round to cheer Lennie on. Among them, though, came Dylan Cox, who lumbered in just as Joanna shoved Lennie into the opposite wall of the river, where fake plant vines covered hard, concrete bricks.

"Dude, what the fuck is happening?" Dylan said, clapping Jamie on the shoulder.

"Joanna pushed Lennie in, and now they're fighting," Jamie said, still in shock.

Rosalie turned to Dylan as the shouting only grew louder, echoing through the pool room. "Do you think you can separate them? Joanna can't get hurt and if she's caught picking a fight—"

"Say no more, princess," Dylan said.

He grabbed the hem of his shirt and ripped it over his head. He chucked it at the girls' table and, in all his hulking glory, jumped into the waves kicked up by Joanna when Lennie dunked her head underwater.

Dylan waded through the water, taking slow, long strides over to Lennie. Lennie only saw him the second it was too late, and Dylan grabbed him by the face and pushed him away. As Joanna flung her head up out of the water, sputtering, hair in her face, Dylan let go of Lennie to sweep her up and out of the water.

Joanna shrieked, "Unhand me, foul beast!"

"Relax, it's just me," Dylan huffed, pushing her unceremoniously onto the concrete.

Thus concluded the end of the fight, and Dylan proceeded to shoo the guys away from the crime scene, only to be interrupted by a lifeguard who approached during the scuffle.

"Everything's fine here. I got it taken care of," Dylan promised the guy. Before the lifeguard could object, Dylan held out his hand, and they shook on it. Rosalie suspected it had something to do with both of their hulking muscles.

By the time Lennie approached the ledge, Rosalie had already walked off. She didn't bother to stick around as Jamie-Lee helped Lennie out of the pool, and Joanna watched after her from her spot on the ground, arms around her knees.

What is with people muscling off around me? Rosalie thought, and decided it must be the curse that came with senior year.

***

"You guys could stay longer if you want. I think the Lions and guys are hanging out at the pool until three," Rosalie said as she stood in the elevator with Sami and Isaiah. It was clear, though, that three hours of pool time and hiding Ray was enough for them.

Sami stretched his arms over his head with a low groan before dropping his hands and sighing. "Nah, I'm beat. You guys have fun without us, though. We'll probably be around for breakfast," he said.

Rosalie agreed to it, smiling to herself as they stepped out into the lobby. Isaiah had his swim trunks back on, and those, paired with sneakers and the bitter cold winter air, foreshadowed a frantic sprint across the street to their hotel. But before they could leave, Rosalie wrapped them both up in a hug and squeezed them tightly.

"Thanks so much for coming," she said, voice muffled against Sami's shoulder.

"Seriously? As if I wouldn't come?" Sami laughed, rustling her chlorinated hair. She tipped her shoulder against him, twisting to his side and leaving Isaiah to pocket his hands in his jacket, a smile on his perfect face.