5. Now what

Arcelina's POV

Arcelina watched as Varian's eyes slowly lulled open. They were half open half shut in a squinting tired kinda way. Neither of them said anything. Just then Varian started coughing up blood. "O-o my god" Arcelina stammered. She didn't know what the heck to do. Luckily she didn't have to figure it out cause he just stopped coughing. Her heart raced as she tried to think about her mother and what she had just done. What had happened and how did it drain Varian of basically all life. "How are you feeling." Arcelina cringed. That was a stupid question. "Like I just died" he muttered his voice hoarse. He looked up his blue eyes meeting hers. She couldn't help but smile. Though it probably seemed cruel giving the circumstances. Even though he was alive she still felt heavy in her chest. She knew her mother was cruel but after seeing what had just happened she was ashamed to call her mother. She knew with one hundred percent certainty she wanted to run away with Varian. But she knew that he was in no condition to travel. She would wait and when he was ready they would go. She didn't know where. But they would go. She sat opposite him. He gave a sad smile and it hurt her heart. She didn't know why she had just met him a few hours ago but she felt like she knew him her whole life. She just felt comfortable around him. Oh no. Was she...falling for him? No, no way. She didn't like him she knew that. Seeing him in this condition just made her feel for him more. Arcelina had to get over it. Would he really want to run away with her. No he was just tricking her making her think she'd get freedom too so he could escape. She couldn't blame him though she'd do the same. Living your life in chains must suck.
"Arcy?"
She snapped back to reality. "Huh what?"
"You zoned out" Varian said.
"Oh" she said. She hated the way that came out. She was always confident and proud so why was she acting so awkward. She restated herself "You think I didn't know that Goggles."
He rolled his eyes but a smile was plastered on his face. Arcelina smiles back. She reaches out and grabs his gloved hand. Brown eyes looking at blue ones. They both let go immediately their arms pulling back like the other's had burned them. Their faces were beet red, both awkwardly avoiding eye contact. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Arcelina knew she had to make the first move. Varian couldn't exactly get up and walk away.
"I-I'm sorry" she stammered feeling defeated her confidence gone.
"N-no I-it's fine" he stammered back. There was an awkward silence. "Well nice talking to you Goggles" she said ruffling his hair. He let out wince. "Oh yeah right sorry" she said. She said it slightly awkward but a lot more smooth than last time. "Man, what did my mom do to you" Arcelina mumbled.
"Wish I knew" Varian said letting out a small sad laugh.

Cassandra's POV

Cassandra was the first one to wake up. She decided not to wake up the others. It was early morning anyway let them rest. She got up from her makeshift bed to stretch her legs. All of a sudden she felt water droplets on her face. "Great" she muttered. She looked to the area of trees that were surrounding them. A short walk in the rain couldn't hurt. She started off listening to the sounds of raindrops landing on things. She kept walking deeper into the forest needing time to think and relax. She had no idea what they were going to do. Corona was huge. It could take years to find Varian. And then what. If they ever found him what would they even do with him. Her thoughts were interrupted when she tripped over a fallen tree branch landing hard on her right arm. Dammit she thought. She carefully rose to her feet. When she tried to move her arm she winced. Panic surged through her when she realized she could have dislocated it. Then a new panic reached her. After getting up from the fall she lost direction of which way she was walking. Now she was lost and she had been walking for at least an hour. She was ways deep in. Cassandra tore a strip of her shirt off and tied it around her arm making a makeshift sling then started off in a direction she hoped was north. The cold air sliced her skin. It had been the middle of winter and Corona weather had been brutal. Cassandra assumed Raps and Eugene had woken up already. They were probably wondering where she was.
"Ok" she muttered to herself "I've been walking in this direction for over 20 minutes and I don't see anything that seems like something I've seen." But then again everywhere was trees so what could have looked like a landmark she saw earlier could just be a random tree. Oh god why did these things have to happen to her. First she hurts her arm then she gets lost. Today wasn't Cassandra's day. She sighed and turned around to try another direction. As night shifted to day the pain from walking increased. Then all of a sudden Cassandra noticed a light. At first she was confused but then realized it was from where they had set up camp. She rushed forward and saw Raps standing there talking to Eugene with a concerned expression on her face. "Cass" Rapunzel said running forward and hugging her. "Where were you we were so worried. We kept looking through all of the woods for you but we couldn't find you."
"I went on a walk got lost" Cassandra said shrugging.
"What's that" Eugene said pointing to her makeshift sling.
"Oh um this I just hurt my arm a little I'll be fine"
"Can I take a look at it" Rapunzel asked.
Cass wanted to refuse but she knew Rapunzel had the best intentions. "Sure" she said "but not until I get something to eat I'm starving."
Rapunzel tossed her an apple which she caught with her good arm. It was just a normal apple but for not eating all day it tasted like a gift from heaven. "Now" Rapunzel said sitting on a log tapping the empty spot next to her "Let me look at your arm."
Cass sat down and Rapunzel started slowly undoing the sling she made. When she took it complete off it revealed raw skin. "Oh Cass" Rapunzel gasped. "I'm fine" she said. Then Raps started tearing the bottom of her dress. "Raps what are you doing"
"I'm going to soak up all the blood"
"No Raps it fine"
But she ignored her. Slowly but carefully she started patting the piece of her dress down Cass's arm. Then she ripped of another piece of her dress and wrapped it around her arm. "There better" Rapunzel said obviously satisfied with her work.
"Raps you didn't have to-"
Snap
They all turned towards the woods.
"Blondie stand behind me" Eugene said.
Then all of a sudden a figure came out from the tree line. At first she she didn't recognize the man but then she knew immediately who she was looking at. Quirin. Varian's dad.

A/N: HEY GUYS THANKS FOR READING THIS CHAPTER. DON'T WORRY I'M GOING TO EXPLAIN IN THE NEXT CHAPTER. HOPE YOU ENJOYED.