Broken | 18

Why am I just discovering this song!? I love Bazzi's voice tbh. Sorry for the late update, also. I couldn't find the motivation to write and I just didn't feel like it. But here's an update after like two weeks of waiting. Once again, I'm sorry (↼‶)

———

Once I made sure that I had my phone in my pocket, Grayson and I left the house, heading out to his car that was parked in the driveway. I didn't know what brand it was, but it was black and it looked nice enough.

I opened the passenger side door and slid into the seat, grabbing the aux and plugging my phone into it. I turned on a Melanie Martinez song and leaned back in the seat, quickly buckling up.

Grayson got in the driver's seat and put the car in gear, seeing as he'd left it running when he knocked on the front door. He backed out of my driveway and began driving to wherever it was we were going.

After a bit of comfortable silence, we pulled into the parking lot of a small building.

"What's this place?" I asked curiously, glancing up at the old building. It looked as if it'd been there for a few decades.

"This is my grandparent's restaurant. They've owned it for a while," He said, smiling fondly at the small place. The entrance was cute, with flowers outside and a small bench to sit on.

All in all, it was a really cute restaurant.

We both got out of the car and headed inside, the bell above the door ringing as we did so. The lady behind the counter looked up, smiling fondly once she saw Grayson.

"Hey Grayson, how you been? It's been a minute, hasn't it?" She smiled, the corners of her eyes crinkling.

"Yeah, it has been a while, Gramma," Grayson replied, grinning slightly. "What's on the menu today?"

"Well, I've got some chicken noodle soup cooking in the back. Or you can have some roast," She said.

"What do you want?" Grayson asked, glancing over at me for my opinion. "I'm fine with roast," I said, smiling at Grayson grandma. She seemed like a sweet old lady.

"Alrighty, Y'all take a seat and I'll go make a couple of bowls." She smiled before heading back into the kitchen.

"So..." I trailed off, drumming my hand on the table.

"So..." Grayson repeated, seeming even more awkward than I was.

"Welp, this is quite the awkward situation, now isn't it?" I head a voice say from behind.

"Hey, Grandpa!" Grayson yelled in excitement, jumping out of his chair and running over to the old man, capturing him in a bear hug.

"How's my boy been?" The man asked, smiling down at Grayson.

"Just dandy. He keeps hitting on me," I spoke up, smirking at the blush that coated Grayson's cheeks. "You finally got yourself a man, did ya' Grayson?" Grayson's grandpa patted him on the back, grinning from ear to ear.

"Yep, he can't keep his hands off me, sir," I snickered at the sour look on Grayson's face. "We're like two peas in a pod."

"I'm happy to hear it, Grayson. Glad you finally got you a special someone,"

"Food's ready!" Grayson's grandma yelled, coming into the dining area with two bowls of roast, along with two glasses of ice water. "I wasn't sure what you boys wanted to drink so I went ahead and got you some cold water to wash this down with,"

"Alright, thanks Gramma," Grayson smiled at the short old woman, taking a bowl and glass of water from her.

"Yeah, thanks Mrs..." I trailed off, unsure of what to call Grayson's grandma. "Oh please hon, call me Debra." She smiled warmly at me.

I nodded my head, taking a sip of my water. The roast smelled incredibly good, and let's be honest, no one cooks better than grandmas. I slowly took a bite of my roast, careful not to burn my tongue.

"Mmm, this is really good," I said once I'd swallowed the bite. Debra smiled, small dimples showing.

"Thanks, dear, I've been working on the recipe so I wasn't sure how it'd taste, but I'm glad you like it!" I nodded my head, taking another bite of the delicious soup.

"Yep, it's really good."

"I've got some pound cake made up if you want some dessert after you boys finish your roast," She said, heading back behind the counter with Grayson's grandpa.

"Your grandma's a really good cook," I said, admiring the delicious roast that I was eating.

"Yeah, no cooking is better than my gramma's," Grayson replied, taking a large bite of his food.

"For real," I nodded my head in agreement, "I wish I had cooking skills like these."

"Yeah, her and my grandpa have owned this place forever. But it doesn't get much business anymore, most people prefer to visit mainstream restaurants."

"That sucks. I hope this place doesn't get shut down, her cooking is amazing," I said, taking a large gulp of water.

"Hopefully," Grayson nodded his head in agreement, then we continued eating in comfortable silence.

Once we'd finished eating our roast Debra came and picked our bowls up, taking them to the backroom and going to get the pound cake. After a couple of minutes, she came back from the kitchen, holding a tray with a cake on it.

"Here we are. Gimme a sec and I'll cut Y'all a couple of pieces," She said, going back to get some plates and a knife. We waited patiently and she came back to the dining area, holding a large knife and a couple of glass plates.

"Alright, here we are," Debra grabbed one of the plates and cut a large slice of cake, setting the pastry on it and sliding the plate towards me.

"Thanks." I smiled slightly, grabbing my fork and cutting off a bite of the cake. She cut Grayson a piece as well and we ate our cake in silence, eventually finishing our food and standing up.

"Well, thanks for visiting dear. It's been fun," Debra said, pulling Grayson in for a tight grandma hug.

"No problem, Gramma. I had a good time," He said with a smile, giving his grandpa a hug as well.

"Alright, we'll see you later Grayson. Have fun with that little boyfriend of yours, too!" Grayson's grandpa yelled after us as we left the building.

Grayson blushed a bright shade of pink, leading the way out to his car. We both climbed inside and buckled up.

"So are your grandparents the only relatives you have that know you're gay?" I asked curiously.

"Yeah, I told them last year." I nodded my head. "So where to now?" I asked, glancing over at Grayson.

"Wanna go back to my place?" He asked, not making eye contact with me.

"Sure," I said, plugging my phone into the aux cord. Grayson nodded and put the car in gear then backed out of the parking lot, pulling out onto the main road and heading to his house.

——————————

So it's been a while since I've updated. I'm not gonna make an excuse, I just didn't have the motivation to write and I couldn't get into the mood to write either. Sorry, I know this is incredibly late, but hopefully it doesn't suck too bad ;) Make sure to vote and comment if you enjoyed! <33333