XII

Like a string that snaps at one's taught pull, I finally break down and call your name.

Future.

A name that rolled off my tongue so easily, yet just thinking of you made my mind whither with the constant pondering of what if.

Everyone needed you, yet most fear you.

Your name, your very presence sent chills down my spine.

Future, I hate you.

Your silent pursuit was deafening to my present, and a sore reminder of my past.

Future, why can't you disappear behind my present?

But we all know that losing you is the result of losing ourselves.

For now, I'll just have to learn to love you.

But how can I love something I'll never know?

You are my questions, my anticipations, the faint lights in the distance I call my lifeline.

Much like starlight, you surround my world endlessly, leaving nearly nothing left for me to drift and ponder along.

Future, you are the stars in the sky teaching my to be a fearless navigator in the ocean of life. You are the silent teacher waiting to great me in the face of my end.

Future, you are Starlight. You are now. You are tomorrow.

I will learn to love you and your pursuit. But for now, all I can to is wish on your light to be gentle in these passing days of my adolescence.

The End

•••