Chapter 1 part 2

When they awoke in the morning, they got ready for school. Alexis and Devin already went on the same bus, so the bus driver wouldn’t suspect anything, not that she would even care. They got onto the bus and sat in their usual front seats. Freshmen never got the back.  They talked about last night, but apparently it was too loud because their friend Chris overheard.
    “Now what are you crackheads talking about?” Chris effused. The girls looked at him and rolled their eyes. “What?” He was sitting upside down on the bus seat, poking the seat with a pencil as he spoke.
    “It’s just a little theory, you wouldn’t understand it, it’s too complex for your tiny brain,” Alexis smirked. Chris rolled his eyes and got down on the bus floor and crawled under the seats into his friend Brayden’s seat.
    “Why is he so weird?” Alexis asked
    “I have no idea,” replied Devin. They continued talking about the theory and the government. The bus pulled up to the school, everyone got out. “I wanna go home…. What if our theories were right and the government tried to kill us so we wouldn’t tell anyone?” Devin joked.
    “Yeah, like that would ever happen. I mean our theory makes sense but why wouldn’t the government tell everyone about aliens and subliminal messages?” Alexis wondered. They walked into their homeroom and checked in.
“We should go to Hurst lab sometime and check it out,” suggested Devin. Alexis stopped at her locker.
“You’re crazy if you think we could ever get in their. There are people guarding that place with guns. We’re never going to be in there,” Alexis explained. Devin stepped back and began to walk to her locker.
“See you fourth period!” Devin hollered.

“So, if he’s a god, why is he crippled? Can’t he heal himself, and why did he throw himself off a cliff when he was a baby?” Alexis contemplated.
“I don’t know. These Greek myths are mega confusing,” Devin complained. They continued to work on their social studies worksheets. Suddenly, Chris got up from his seat.
“I’m done. I’m already failing this class and these stupid greek gods aren’t gonna bring my grade up so I’m out,” he grumbled. The teacher looked astonished.
“Office, right now!” the teacher hollered. Chris was already out the door.
“Already planning on it!” Chris shouted. Devin and Alexis were trying not to laugh. Chris did some pretty stupid stuff, but he’d never done anything like this. Nobody was allowed to talk the rest of the period. Ten minutes before fourth period ended, there was an announcement.
“Would Alexis Williams and Devin Hampson report to the main office immediately?” It said. Devin and Alexis gave each other a confused look and left the class.
“Chris probably said something about us or something, we haven’t done anything wrong, right?” Alexis asked.
“Nah, it was just Chris,” Devin confirmed. Right before they got to the office they ran into Chris. He had his bag packed.
“Guess who got suspended for two days?!” Chris exclaimed.
“What did you say about us?” Alexis questioned. Chris looked puzzled.
“I didn’t say anything about you guys. Oh, I think Gary Miller finally got caught for bringing drugs to school, there were police and guys in black suits in there. They just got here,” Chris grinned. Alexis and Devin looked at each other.
“You don’t think…” Alexis started.
“Come on,” Devin said as she pulled Alexis away from the office, “skipping for a day won’t hurt.” They quickly snuck out one of the gym class exits and made their way to the treehouse. Alexis tripped and cut her leg on a nail from the treehouse. It was a deep gash, but she’d take care of it later.
“Oh my god oh my god oh my god,” Devin blurted as she crawled through the small entrance of the treehouse. “Why did I make us do this. We should’ve stayed.”
“No,” Alexis said, “it was a good idea. Those government guys would’ve killed us or kidnapped us, and even if they didn’t come for us it’s better to play it safe.” Alexis convinced Devin. Devin locked the small door of their treehouse. Alexis went to hold Simba when he started growling. Devin scooped him up.
“Hey, dude, what’s wrong?” Devin queried. He was looking at the door. Devin brought him over and cracked the door open an inch or two. He growled louder. Devin opened the door all the way. He started to bark and tried to get out of her arms. “Simba what’s wrong with you?! You never act like this!” Devin panicked. He barked louder and louder until there was a loud bang, and the barking suddenly came to a stop. Devin felt a warm liquid in her lap. She looked down and saw Simba’s bloody body. Somebody had shot him. The wound was awfully close to Devin’s head. Before she could react, Alexis pulled Devin down to the secret exit
“Run, just run and don’t stop!”