Chapter 4

Rockland, New York

They pulled up in an abandoned building after speeding away from the cars following them. There were three other kids around their age and a dog sitting outside the building.

"Who are they? Please don't tell me they are strangers," A girl cried.

"Remember the last time we let strangers in? We almost died!" One of the boys snapped.

"We did NOT almost die, you're being dramatic," the boy driving Alexis' motorcycle scoffed. "They were running from them. They might know what we know."

"What if they were running from them because they were murderers," the girl driving Devin's motorcycle provoked.

"Is it because I'm-" Alexis put her hand over Chris' mouth before he could finish his sentence.

"Excuse me," Alexis interrupted, "but we were running because the government tried to kill us. They were spying on us because we were theorizing about them and it turned out the theories were true, or at least we assume they were. They even killed our dog, so we ran away."

"What are your names?" one of the boys asked.

"Why should I tell you?" Chris questioned. Alexis and Devin glared at him. "It's Chris."

"I'm Devin," Devin said,

"And I'm Alexis, who are you?" she questioned. The boy driving Alexis' motorcycle spoke.

"I'm Jax." He had short black curly hair, he was fairly tall and muscular and looked to be about seventeen.

"Well, I'm Hannah. Jax pretty much tells us all what to do," she said. Jax nervously scratched his head. He was blushing. Hannah had green eyes with long wavy black hair. "I'm really good at stealing stuff, so I get pretty much ALL of our supplies."

"Hey, I make some pretty dope weapons," one of the teens said.

"Well, I can just steal weapons, Axel!" Hannah argued. Hannah stepped up to Axel "You wanna go?" Chris started to run up and join the fight, but Alexis grabbed him before he could.

"Enough, you two. Axel, you haven't even introduced yourself," Jax pointed out. Axel backed away from Hannah.

"I'm, well I guess you already heard, Axel, and this is Mils, my sister," he said while pointing at the girl with straight blonde hair and glasses. She and Axel looked the same age and looked to be twins. They both had blonde hair and blue eyes, the only difference between the two was Axel had shorter hair. One guy standing behind the rest stepped up, a dog standing by his side. Mu Mu started hissing. Chris hit the crate and Mu Mu settled down.

"Hi, I'm Colby," he said, "and this is Loki, he's our dog. He helps out more than you'd think."

The dog was a german Shepard, he looked like he'd been through a lot. Colby had big black glasses, one lens had a huge crack through it, and messy brown hair.

"So, who even are you, how'd you get here?" Devin asked. They looked at each other for a moment.

"Well," Jax started, "Me and Axel always theorized about the government, same as you, then Mils and her best friend Hannah joined in. We spread our theories around school, but one day I went out to get my mail and someone grabbed me. I knew what was up, so I kicked him in his no no square and ran to Axel's apartment, then Hannah's and we ran. We ran into Colby and Loki a month after we ran away. He went to our school, we never even knew he had been adding to our theories. He shared the theories online, the government got to him months before us. Two years later here we are." As Jax was telling their story, they had entered the building.

"You three can have this room," Jax told them, "But always keep your stuff packed, you never know when they'll find us." There was only one bed in the room. It was a queen size. The rest of the room was empty except for a few pillows on the ground.

"I'm not sleeping on the same bed as them," Chris declared.

"Then you can sleep on the floor," Alexis told Chris. Colby looked at Alexis' leg. He saw the huge gash on the back of her calf. It looked infected.

"That cut on your leg looks really bad," Colby worried. Devin looked around Alexis' leg.

"Why didn't you tell me about that?! It looks SUPER bad, I could've helped you," Devin croaked.

"We needed to keep moving, it wasn't important at the time," Alexis argued.

"Colby, just take care of that, okay? I'm gonna go help Mils with dinner," Jax said.

"I'm going out, I'm gonna get some money," Hannah announced. One by one they all left the room. Chris went with Axel to learn how to make knives out of wood. Colby directed Alexis and Devin into a small room, mostly empty except for two grocery bags.

"Okay. This is our medical room. We get hurt a lot, well, they do. Anyways, let's deal with this cut," Colby said.

"Well first of all, we need to clean it, then we'll need some kind of antibiotic. Do you have any hydrogen peroxide?" Devin asked. Colby reached into the bag and pulled out a cotton ball.

"How did you know that?" Colby asked.

"Well my mom has taught me a lot about medical stuff since she works at a hospital," Devin replied. Alexis sat down on the table in the small room. Devin looked closely at the wound.

"Oh god, we are gonna need some tweezers, this thing is full of dirt," Devin gagged.

"Excuse you," Alexis snapped. Colby handed Devin some tweezers. She started picking dirt out of the gash. "OW!" Alexis yelped. She pulled back her leg.

"Stand still! Do you want this to get even more infected and then we'll have to cut it off?" Devin exclaimed. Alexis let Devin see her leg again.

"You're exaggerating," Alexis muttered.

"Am I?" Devin quipped. She finished getting the dirt chunks out and Colby cleaned it out with a wet cotton swab, poured hydrogen peroxide on it and wrapped it in gauze. The three left the room, Colby wandering into his room, leaving the girls alone.

"So now what?" Alexis asked. They looked around for something in the area.

"I'm not sure," Devin replied. "What do you wanna do?"

"Let's look around the house," Alexis compromised. They walked into the kitchen if you could even call it that. There was a hole in the wall, a tarp covering it. The oven and fridge were missing, instead of a fridge, there was a small blue cooler. There was also a fire pit in the middle of the room that Jax was boiling some water over and a huge box that Mils was cutting potatoes on. Across from it was what looked like a living room with two beach chairs and a beanbag. There was a computer sitting on the floor and three duffel bags sitting next to it.

"Whatcha making?" Devin asked Mils. She looked up from the potatoes and walked over to the cooler.

"I'm just fixing up some dinner. I used to love cooking until...well I still do," she said. She got some beef out of the cooler. Hannah must've stolen it. She cut up the beef and some vegetables and put them in a pot over the fire.

"So is that like some kind of beef stew or something?" Alexis asked.

"Pretty much."

"Is Mils your real name?" Devin asked.

"Well it's actually Amelia, Axel was actually the one who gave me the nickname, and it stuck," she told them. Hannah walked down the stairs with her hands in her pockets. She pulled out $50.

"Wow, you stole all that, that quick?" Alexis pondered. Hannah shoved the money in one of the bags by the computer.

"Oh this? We are supposed to save all our money and put it in the bag. I've had this for a few weeks, just never got around to it," she smiled. "I'm gonna go steal some stuff now, you wanna come? I could use someone to be a distraction."

"I'll go!" Alexis volunteered at once. Devin was a little hesitant.

"Sure."