Chapter 3

Goulcrest, Pennsylvania

    “So that bus goes….north? Is Greedleburg north from here?” Alexis asked while pointing to a map at the bus stop.
    “Wait what does the ‘M’ mean?” Chris asked.
    “Chris, you’re holding that upside down, that's the ‘W’ for west!” Alexis said.
    “Never eat soggy waffles,” Devin mumbled. “Yes, that’s north, do we have money left over for tickets?” Alexis pulled out the money.
    “We still have $50 left, we should at least be able to make it to New York,” Alexis guessed. They sat down on the bench at the bus stop. As they waited for the bus, they saw two all black cars with tinted windows sitting across the street. “Devin,” Alexis whispered, “do you see that car. I think they’re following us.”
    “That’s racist, what if the cars were white?” Chris snapped. Devin ignored him.
    “Don’t worry. Other people have black cars. It’s fine… I think,” Devin hesitated. The bus pulled up at the stop and they got on. They sat down and rode the bus as far north as they could.  They went through Goulcrest, the last stop was at the border of Goulcrest and Greedleburg. They got on bus after bus until they got to Kurtztown. When the bus stopped, they saw the same two cars they saw at the first bus stop.
    “D-Devin… the cars. They WERE following us!” Alexis croaked while looking out the bus window.
    “Wait why is the government following YOU?” Chris asked.
    “Shut up we’ll explain later!” Alexis snapped.
    “Okay. OKAY. This is fine. We’ll go into that store right there without the workers noticing and run into the bathroom. This is fine. We’ll be fine,” Devin babbled.
“Wait do I have to go in the girls bathroom?” Chris croaked.
“Just put up your hood,” Alexis said while pulling Chris’ hood over his head.They ran out of the bus. They crept into the store doors, snuck behind a shelf, and ran into the bathroom.
“Okay, now we just stay here,” Devin said while she and Devin crouched on the toilet in the handicap stall. Chris was sitting in the sink.
    “I hate this. It smells bad, we smell bad, and we can’t go home now,” Alexis complained.
    “Yeah, I wanna go home too. This sucks,” Devin agreed. Mu Mu started to meow, so Chris shoved his hand over Mu Mu’s mouth. They heard footsteps in the bathroom.
    “Who’s in here,” a manly voice said. Devin and Alexis looked at each other in fear. Devin hesitated, then spoke.
    “Excuse me?” Devin said in an old lady voice. “Are you a peeping Tom? That is unacceptable. What is your name young man, I must tell the manager about this uneventful occurrence as soon as I finish up my business in here.” The man didn’t say anything else. He left the bathroom. As soon as he left Chris burst out in laughter once again.
    “That was good, but he’s probably waiting outside the door for us,” Alexis pointed out. Alexis  looked around the bathroom. There was a small window above the sinks. “Oh, look!” Alexis said pointing at the window. “We can get out through there.”
    “Uh you can, but can I?” Devin questioned. Devin was about a foot taller than Alexis and Chris, who knows if she could fit through the small window.
    “We can try, come on, I’ll go first,” Alexis said. She climbed onto the sink and tried opening the window. “Urgh! Why won’t it open,” Alexis struggled. Devin climbed up on the sink to help her. They eventually got it it open. Devin boosted Alexis up. She fit through the window with a little wiggle room. Devin jumped up a squeezed through, just barely getting through. They ran out of the store, laughing on their way out, Chris was close behind.
    “I can’t believe he actually believed you! You sounded inhuman,” Alexis laughed. They stopped at nearby bus stop.
    “Yeah, I was just winging it, but I guess it worked,” Devin beamed. “Wait, we should walk because they might follow the bus thinking we’ll take it again. The border is only like a ten minute walk.”
    “Okay,” Alexis agreed. They walked for about ten minutes, they were in New York. They walked around, looking in shops. They were nowhere near New York City, so none of them knew where to go. As they were walking, they saw two black cars, the same from before, pulling up to them, getting closer and closer.
    “SHOOT!” Devin skreiched.
    “Run, run, RUN!” Alexis shouted. They ran as fast as they could, but the car was faster. If only they were deeper in the city, then there may have been traffic. The cars got closer and closer.
    “Goodbye Alexis!” Devin cried.
    “Bye Devin!” Alexis shouted.
“I’m here, too. How rude!” Chris muttered. Two motorcycles pulled up beside them. Devin closed her eyes, awaiting her inevitable death when the person on the motorcycle pulled her on. Devin looked up and saw Alexis on the motorcycle beside her. The motorcycle started to speed up, but Chris was still running behind them with Mu Mu’s crate in his arms. Alexis reached out and grabbed Chris’ arm and pulled him up onto the bike.