chapter twenty

florence and five walked into their home hand in hand. it had felt like ages since they had both been there together.

after florence's eventful past few hours of running around the city and five's hangover, both of them were tired.

as soon as they walked through the door, florence let go of five's hand and threw herself onto the couch that was in front of five's portrait. she forgot about the bullet holes.

"they didn't hurt you, did they?" five asked as he sat down and pulled florence into his lap. she immediately curled up on him, like a cat.

"who? hazel and cha-cha? no, but they tried."

"i'm so sorry, floss. for leaving you. i should've come back like i said i was going to."

"five, it's okay. stop apologising. you didn't know what was going to happen."

the two of them sat in silence for a few minutes, enjoying each other's warmth.

"do you want to come and try your new coffee machine? i didn't put any of the capsules in, for obvious reasons, but the bag is upstairs." florence said to five. five looked down at her and smiled.

he gently nodded his head before leaning down to kiss the grinning girl.

five removed florence from his lap before standing up and putting both of his hands out for her to take. she grabbed both of them and five pulled her up.

she stumbled a bit from being pulled up with force, but five caught her by her waist before she could damage anything, or him.

with a hand still in one of florence's, five began to ran up the stairs. he was excited to try out his new purchase. and, hopefully, this time he would actually get a cup of coffee.

florence giggled as she was being pulled along by five.

but, he abruptly stopped.

florence noticed that they were outside of klaus' room. she peered around five's shoulders to look at the bathroom because that's where he was looking. she was surprised to see what looked like bloody footprints on the tiled floor.

her eyes followed the path of prints. she stepped forward so she was next to five to get a better look at everything. five immediately wrapped his arm around florence's waist in a protective way.

florence looked into her older brother's room. klaus had his back turned towards his siblings as he pulled on his shirt, not knowing they were there.

florence was a bit taken aback seeing klaus there.

"klaus!" she let five's arm drop down and ran towards her brother. he whipped around and was met with florence's little arms being thrown around his neck.

klaus timidly, but tightly, wrapped his arm around florence and let out a sigh of relief.

"don't ever do that again. you had us worried sick. where have you been?" florence pulled away and heard five's footsteps slowly approaching them.

"are you okay?" five asked, concerned about klaus.

"yeah, just long night," klaus slightly shrugged his shoulders.

florence noticed that klaus now had a couple of dog tags hanging around his neck.

she looked towards his arm and saw that he had a new tattoo. she squinted her eyes to get a better look at it, but klaus was moving around so she couldn't properly see it.