chapter twenty six

five was still unconscious as mother sorted him out and cleaned him up. 

none of them knew how their mom, who was supposed to be not working, was walking around as if nothing had happened. it shocked them all.

florence sat in a chair, holding his hand tightly, next to his bed. allison and diego stood in the doorway. they talked to one another about vanya.

"is he going to be okay?" florence quietly asked grace.

"yes, dear. he will be fine. he just needs some time to heal."

florence wasn't crying anymore. five was alive. now, he just needed to wake up and get better.

diego turned to walk away, "we don't have enough time. we gotta go."

allison grabbed his arm and told him to stay. florence rubbed gentle circles over five's hand.

"luther was right," florence heard diego mutter.

she span her head around in disbelief. "are you feeling okay. diggy? did klaus give you something? al, i think you should check his forehead for a temperature," she joked.

allison laughed and put her hand out towards diego's forehead, but he dodged her arm and glared at florence.

"come and talk to me when you're tall enough to reach the top shelf."

florence put a hand on her heart, acting offended. she then turned her attention back to five.

"you coming, flo?" florence turned back around.

"to where?"

"near jackpine road. it's where jenkins' grandmother lives."

"i think i'm gonna stay here. i don't want him to be alone when he wakes up. be careful though," florence gave them a sad smile and a small wave. allison and diego disappeared down the corridor, their footsteps got further and further away.

florence sighed, "mom?"

"yes, dear?" grace asked with a bright smile.

"can i have a hot chocolate, please?"

"of course, i'll be right back," she finished up what she was doing with five and walked out of the room, only to be back a few minutes later. this time, with a steaming mug in her hands.

florence played with the mystery eyeball and conjured up a few ice figures to pass the time. it was well into the night before her eyes began to droop and she fell asleep.

when she awoke, her back was aching from sleeping in the most uncomfortable position possible on the chair.

"you look really cute when you sleep."

five was awake and smiling at florence.

florence's face lit up as she ran to hug him. without meaning to, she squeezed him a bit to hard. this made him hiss in pain and florence continuously apologised. 

"don't ever scare me like that again. i thought you had died!" florence lost her smile.

"it's okay now, flossie. i'm okay."

he carefully pulled florence into his good side and twirled her hair around his fingers.

"do you need anything? food?"

"that would be nice. and to change out of my uniform. i need-"

"let me guess. you need help. now i'm starting to think you actually got shot on purpose," florence playfully raised her eyebrows.