Chapter 14 - Hi El

Ella spent time with Granny at the lake during the week. She knew no one would be on Natalie's beach, because she worked and Owen was also working at a STEM camp all summer. On the weekends, she tried to stay away, but Tony wouldn't let her. He played the role of boyfriend, especially when her old friends were around.

One afternoon, Tony caused a scene by picking her up and throwing her in the lake. She couldn't help but laugh amidst her screams, as he carried her out. They made quite a scene especially with her father and uncles cheering Tony on. When she surfaced after a complete dunking, both Owen and Natalie were watching. She had been having fun two seconds before and then she wasn't.

When she and Tony had dinner during the week, she told him she had applied for a job at another school. "It will mean a longer commute but not horrible."

"Will you be happier?" he asked, with his eyes full of concern.

"Yeah, I think I will if I'm not facing ghosts around every corner. I need a clean slate where no one knows my past."

Tony nodded, "Then it will be worth it."

"Let's see if I get an interview."

"You will. You're too talented not to." Tony smiled at her.

Because he was so supportive, she wondered if she was wrong to hold him off. "I was wondering, do you want to try kissing again? Just so we can see if things have changed."

"El, I wanted to talk to you. There's a girl I like. I've kinda been seeing her and I'm going on a date on Saturday."

"Oh. You are? Well, that's okay. No, it's good. I'm happy for you."

"Thanks, El. I was afraid it would be hard for you."

"No, no. Who is she?"

She couldn't admit it to Tony, but she liked having him to herself. His friendship helped her survive, and he always made her feel special, like a boyfriend without benefits.

As if he read her mind, he said, "Nothing will change. We can still have our dinners and I'll come to see you sing. Plus, don't forget Sundays with the family."

"I guess we can't pretend we're together anymore."

"We might need to pull back in case things go well, and I want to tell my uncle."

Ella teased. "My uncle."

Tony countered. "He's a blood relative to me."

"Fine, you win! So this girl?"

"Let's wait to see how things go."

Blush creeped into his cheeks. "You really like her!"

"Yeah, I do."

"Can I tell Ava about your date?"

Tony surprised her. "Let's keep it quiet for now. I trust you, El."

He may have another girl, but he trusted her with his secret, so she felt special.

As summer went on she started to feel better and was convinced being out of the school helped. She applied for more jobs and went on a few interviews. When she was offered a position, she accepted and gave notice to her old school.

She went to see Albert in person. "I can't say I'm entirely surprised. I know you haven't been happy. I wish you well."

As she left her old school for the last time, she felt relieved and optimistic about the new school year.

She went out with Tony and Ava to celebrate her new job. She felt like Tony was drifting away, but she was probably being selfish. He refused to tell her details about his girlfriend, although when she asked how things were going, his whole face lit up.

With Ava there, she couldn't drill him to find out more about the mystery girl, as she thought of her. Meanwhile, Ava was proud of her for moving on. She surprised Ella when she said she was thinking of a job change too.

"I thought you liked it." Ella was surprised.

"I do, but I've been away long enough. I think I'm ready to come back to Maine. No, before you say it, I don't want to work with Auntie."

"I think that's a good idea." Ella agreed Ava's professional life should be separate from the family.

"Don't say anything to anyone yet. I haven't even applied anywhere yet."

"I can keep secrets." Ella glanced at Tony, but he was looking at his phone and smiling. He was probably texting his girl.

Ella was excited about the prospect of having Ava coming home. With Tony distracted with his girlfriend, it would be nice to have Ava to hang out with.

Ella had one more week of summer and she was disappointed neither Ava nor Tony were around to come see her sing on Saturday night. Her real disappointment was she had to share Tony. She sang at her favorite Portland venue and there was a nice crowd. Once she started singing she got lost in her own world. Time flew by and it surprised her when she heard the introduction to their last song.

She shut her eyes and sang.

"When I fall in love, it will be forever..."

When she finished, she chatted with Neal their piano player. Dave, who played woodwind and brass, came back with a beer for her and asked, "Where's your boyfriend tonight."

She had told him numerous times he was not her boyfriend, but he never believed her. She replied, "He's on a date."

Her band members laughed, because they thought she was joking. Smiling her eye caught someone leaning against the wall at the other end of the large room. She looked away and looked back, but it still looked like him.

Feeling her entire body shaking with nerves and anger, she walked off the stage and started across the room. Walking closer, she could see more details in the face she hadn't seen in sixteen months. He looked too damn beautiful, as he took in her face too. She was glad she wore her favorite dress because she knew she looked good. Every girl wanted to look hot, when she saw the bastard who crushed her heart for the first time.

Why? Where was Owen? Where was his wife? His wife, she thought as the anger and humiliation bubbled.

When she reached him, he said, "Hi El."

His voice almost broke her, but his words angered her. That was all he said after what he did to her. Before she could think she threw what was left of her beer in his face and reached up. She did what she had imagined so many times. She slapped him across the face and turned and walked away.