Chapter 21 - Move on

Joe had been pacing the floor since the minute Ella sent a text to say she would come over

Joe had been pacing the floor since the minute Ella sent a text to say she would come over. He didn't care about her seeing their apartment which was no worse than where he had lived with Owen. It was the first time they would spend time together outside of the school and Joe wasn't sure he could refrain from kissing her.

Caleb watched him and shook his head. "Jesus man, you've got it so bad for my teacher. It's so weird she's coming here." He paused and looked at his phone. "I'm gonna go out later."

"Where? I didn't know you had friends already."

"Some kids are heading to the beach to hang out. I've got a ride."

"Yeah with who?"

"A girl in my music class asked Ms. Burke about her. Her name is Gaby."

"You can't drink and this girl who is driving can't drink."

"You don't trust me."

"You've been in enough trouble. No sneaking around and no alcohol and drugs or whatever shit you were into." Joe hated feeling responsible for the kid every waking moment.

"I don't get high!"

"Okay, but I want you home by eleven and not a minute after. When are you leaving?"

"Not until later, I want to watch you grovel a bit. Maybe when I leave you'll get some."

Joe had no intention of getting some when he wasn't certain she would even let him kiss her. Even if he thought he might, he wouldn't discuss it with his little brother.

Luckily, the buzzer rang. Caleb jumped up and ran to the intercom. "Come on up." He pressed the button to release the door.

Joe was halfway down the stairs to meet her when he heard the door open. She looked up at him and he tensed as her face looked drawn. He smiled nonetheless, and as he ushered her in the door, he heard her let out her breath, as he touched her back. He was glad to see his touch still calmed her.

"Hey, Ella. Ms. Burke."

"Hi Caleb, and Ella is fine as long as you remember not to say it at school."

"Am I supposed to be calling him Mr. Walch?" He scowled at Joe.

Ella looked at Joe and he could tell she was trying hard not to laugh.

"Damn straight and show me respect too. I can give you detention and ground you at the same time."

Caleb sighed. "It's okay, if you don't like him anymore. He is a jerk."

Ella laughed, "Is this the way it is all the time with you two?"

Joe said, "Pretty much."

"You're worse than Ava and me."

Joe added, "He and Leah get into it, too. I was going to order Chinese delivery if it works for you?"

Joe wanted to tell Caleb to go to his room, but he didn't want the kid to feel unwelcome in his own home.