Chapter 29 - A Choice

The tension filled the air and even Caleb was smart enough not to aggravate Joe

The tension filled the air and even Caleb was smart enough not to aggravate Joe. The minute Ella told him she had arranged to have dinner with her parents on Friday, he was a bundle of nerves.

Ella was anxious too. She had trouble sitting still and she cried when she dropped a glass in the sink.

"Did you cut yourself?" Joe asked concerned.

"No!" She sobbed.

Thankfully Caleb was hiding in his room, because he might not have been able to hold his tongue.

"I want to be nearby. if you're upset, I don't want you driving."

"You can wait at my apartment."

He nodded but was still concerned. "You'll still need to drive."

"We could ask Nick if you could wait at his house."

"Would he let me?" Joe wanted to be close to Ella in case she needed him.

Ella sighed. "I can ask. Sara messaged me. She's glad I'm happy and doesn't want any of your body parts."

"You know I don't have many left, I'm guessing that my heart is reserved for your father and as a doctor, he probably knows how to cut it out of my chest."

"My father's specialty is Family Medicine, not heart surgery."

"We're not doing a good job at reassuring ourselves are we?"

Ella shook her head and Joe pulled her in his arms.

It had been agreed Joe would wait for her at Nick's. When she asked Nick, he said, "It will cost him though. Sara and I want those famous lobster rolls and a cheese pizza for the kids."

When she told Joe, he laughed but as they left school on Friday, he turned towards the beach. Much to their surprise, Caleb insisted on joining them.

"I want to see this drama." He found enjoyment in Joe's misery.

"Thanks a lot," Joe said, without any emotion.

By the time, they got the rolls and the pizzas, Ella's nerves were making her stomach sick. She was glad Joe was driving her car. Thankfully, Caleb knew enough to keep quiet in the back seat.

As they got closer, Joe yelled, "Hey Cay, watch your language around the kids."

"I'm not stupid."

"Attitude too," Joe added.

Joe pulled into Nick's driveway and asked, "Are you coming in?"

Ella shook her head and switched to the driver's seat and backed out of one driveway and into the next, as Joe and Caleb went to the door with dinner in their hands. When she entered her house, her father's car was not there. Perhaps she should tell her mother and granny first. Quietly, she had an anguished debate in her head.