Chapter 28- Assets

When Joe woke with Ella in his arms, he pulled her closer

When Joe woke with Ella in his arms, he pulled her closer. He didn't want to wake her, but remembered how he had felt her pulling away from him, so he needed her close. How did he ever survive months without her when three days almost killed him? Some days, he felt ready to go out and buy her the ring which would be a year and a half overdue and others he felt petrified of Tim Burke. Ella was convinced her father would come around, but Joe was skeptical.

When Joe came out of his shower, he heard Ella talking to Caleb.

"Hey, what's the deal with you and Gaby?"

"No deal. Why?"

"I don't know. You're always going to her house, but in my class, you two never talk."

"We talk some. We're friends. I guess."

"I thought you were going out."

"What is this? An interrogation? She's got some other guy."

"But."

"I'm not answering." Turning to Joe, he asked, "Did you get all that?" Then he retreated to his room.

Joe looked at Ella. "I don't get it."

"Neither do I. Why is he there all the time?"

Joe sighed. "One more thing for me to worry about... Caleb and your father."

"Speaking of my father, I want to be there when Ava makes her announcement. Maybe I'll pick up some pointers."

"El honey, I don't think Ava and Tony are anything like us. Seriously haven't you said everyone loves him."

"Yeah, but..."

"But? Go if you want." He sighed.

Joe had no intention of keeping Ella from her family no matter what the reason.

When Ella arrived at the house, Ava eyed her and whispered, "Why are you here?"

"To support you of course." Ella said sounding quite innocent. "Where's Tony?"