Chapter 35 - Textbook

Joe had slept well but woke early with Ella pressed up against him

Joe had slept well but woke early with Ella pressed up against him. He had fallen asleep right after Tommy and Gina left. Their guests were staying at the Comfort Inn on Route One, because his apartment was too small. He hadn't even woken when Ella returned from visiting Caleb.

His first thought upon waking was to get back to his brother. He entered his room to see Tim laughing with him. Their new friendship scared him and excited him at the same time. It was as if his fate with Tim Burke was in the hands of a seventeen-year-old smart ass.

Joe asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Okay, but I want to go home."

"Maybe tomorrow. We'll see," Tim replied.

"But everything is alright?" Joe asked, concerned.

"Textbook," Tim answered curtly. "I'm off busy day at my house."

Joe said, "It was her decision. I would never stop her."

He felt like he was rambling and Tim chose to ignore him. "Be good, Caleb. Don't harass the nurses."

After he left Caleb said, "Man, you can put a chill in a room."

Joe just sighed. Later when Ella arrived with Leah, Joe whispered to her, "You can go. We'll be here."

She kissed his cheek. "I'm staying with my family."

Thanksgiving was spent at the hospital. Because they couldn't all fit in Caleb's room, they waited in the cafeteria while rotating in and out of Caleb's room. Tommy and Gina left for a while in the late afternoon stating that they had an invitation for pie.

Joe knew it was the Burke's. When they had visited him before, they had become friendly with Tim and Julie. Tim missed them more than he missed Joe. When they returned, they smiled and said they had a nice time not indicating to either Joe or Ella how Tim had behaved.

The following morning Joe heard Caleb laughing as he rounded the corner. He braced himself for Tim, but was pleased to see Nick.

"Hey Joe! I'm been keeping Caleb company."

"Bridget made me get well cards."

Joe saw a stack of folded papers. "My daughter didn't think one was enough. She wanted to come, but I had other patients to see. I just saved the best for last."

Joe saw a shadow briefly cross Nick's face. Joe was reminded of how lucky Caleb had been.

"We're waiting on the results of one more blood test. If all is good we'll spring him today, but he'll have to rest. The nurses will have my instructions and I'll call you later. You know you can reach out anytime. You're family, both of you."

Joe said, "Don't tell your brother."

"My stubborn brother will come around. It's a matter of pride, so he's going to have to man up."