Chapter 20 - Butterflies

Ella was distracted first thing in the morning and almost walked into another teacher

Ella was distracted first thing in the morning and almost walked into another teacher. Thankfully she didn't realize Ella's mistake and was more interested in introducing herself. Christa was an art teacher and they looked to be about the same age.

"Welcome!" she exclaimed and began walking with Ella to the music room. "This is my third year and I'm glad they keep hiring younger teachers."

Ella replied, "This is my fourth year teaching."

"Why'd you switch schools?"

"Mostly because this is a great school, but also because I needed a change. Teaching at the same school I attended has some drawbacks." Like everyone knows your business and your family.

"I can only imagine. We definitely have teachers who went here." Ella nodded. "Have you seen the new English teacher? Of course, you have who could miss him. I'm trying to find out if he's single. I'm not the only one, but I have an advantage, because I have his brother in my class."

Ella suddenly felt territorial. "I have Caleb, too. I actually used to teach with Joe."

"So you know his story! Tell me what you know."

Ella was frustrated with Joe after she spoke to him the night before and now finding out he had a harem didn't help.

"He's divorced, so that would make him single again."

Christa left to what Ella assumed was to walk the halls hoping to bump into Joe. Joe had aggravated Ella when she called him back. He was teasing her about having another date. He even asked if he held onto her when her knees went weak.

Now Ella was wondering, if he would kiss her. Her belly was fluttering at the thought, but at the same time she knew her knees would go weak and he'd know the effect he had on her.

The worst part was she hadn't expected to see Dylan. He had dropped by as a surprise. Ella figured out pretty quickly what he had in mind for the evening. He reminded her of Conor. She was in the middle of explaining she really didn't think they were working out when Joe called. Dylan assumed the caller was the reason why she was breaking up with him.

"It was another teacher calling about one of my students." She had told the truth, but Dylan was right, too.

He finally left after she mentioned Tony. "Ask Tony, you're the first guy I agreed to go out with after a difficult breakup. I discovered I'm not ready to move on."

She was upset when she returned Joe's call and when he teased her, she cried. "Not tonight Joe. I'm not in the mood for your games."

"Sorry, El. I wanted to talk about my dinner."

"Did you two talk?"

"Yeah."

She cut him off. "I'm glad. I'm going to bed. Goodbye, Joe."