Chapter 18 - New student

Ella woke early like she always did on the first day of school

Ella woke early like she always did on the first day of school. She was ready, but she was still anxious. Unlike the teacher she replaced before who had retired, this teacher moved over the summer, and his students had been expecting him back. She imagined there was a lot of talk about her after they received their schedules. She would have to prove herself to them.

Much to her surprise, they were welcoming and genuinely curious. By her second class word had spread of her singing with the band. Someone had found a YouTube video. If she knew it would be so easy to impress them, she wouldn't have worried.

After lunch, she was taking attendance when a student walked in late. He apologized and said he was new to the school and didn't know his way around. He handed her a slip from guidance showing he had just enrolled in her class. She glanced at the name and had to look again.

When she looked up at him, he smirked at her. Her new student was Caleb Gallagher and he knew who she was. It didn't even occur to her Caleb would have moved with Joe, but it made sense.

"Caleb, please take a seat. I was about to begin."

She spent most of the class talking and only at the end did they sing a warm up. She listened and Caleb could sing better than his half-brother.

At the end of the day, she found her way to Joe's classroom. His smile faded when she stomped in and shoved the slip of paper in front of him.

"What was your purpose with this?" She hissed.

"What? I had no idea. He did this on his own. If you want to blame someone, my guess would be Leah." Joe took out a copy of Caleb's schedule. "I thought he had gym."

"Not anymore."

"I didn't know the kid could sing." Joe sighed.

"Better than you." Ella answered without a hint of teasing.

Joe smiled and whispered, "You liked my off-key singing in the shower."

Ella's mind played a slow motion of his soapy, wet back and shoulders and a charge pulsed through her body straight to her core. She hoped he wouldn't read her mind, because he always knew what she was thinking.