Asra Meeting The Apprentice for the First Time

A/N:

I was inspired by this post on tumblr of Asra belly dancing and I wanted to delve into their first meeting at a masquerade (https://doc-nazali.tumblr.com/post/176410688893/can-we-all-agree). Seeing the post made me wonder if Asra was maybe employed as a dancer for one of the rooms at the masquerade. Similarly, the Apprentice is giving fortunes representing their Aunts shop as part of the festivities.

This chapter will be from the perspective of my own Apprentice, Myra. She uses she/they pronouns. Sorry to anyone who doesn't like author OC inserts, but I'm not sure how I'd write this from a perspective of a non-defined Apprentice!

Chapter art originally from here! https://kirakirapotatoe.tumblr.com/post/181731840519/belly-dancing-asra-gerudo-asra-whatever-tf

Walking through the grand doors to the palace takes my breath away. Since I moved in with my Aunt a few months ago, I'm no stranger to the towering gates of the palace. Once a year, they swing open to invite the townsfolk inside to celebrate Count Lucio's birthday. Unfortunately, I'm not here for festivities. I'm here in my Aunt's stead to read fortunes, at request of Countess Nadia. My Aunt suddenly fell ill a few days ago, but our shop needed the income. Plus, the tips from the frivolous court members didn't hurt either. It's still a few hours before the masquerade officially starts, servants and waiters still bustling around the palace making the final preparations.

Countess Nadia requested the staff to arrive a bit early, she apparently has costumes and outfits prepared for us to fit the theme of the rooms we're set to spend the masquerade in. A frantic servant ushers me into a staffing area, gossamer clothing and masks strewn about the room. The servant hands me an outfit, clearly meant to fit the stereotypical "magician" aesthetic. The two piece set is a light lavender, dripping with dainty gold chains, glittery gold beads, and opal detailing along the plunging neckline. The outfit is complete with gold bangles, an arm cuff, crystal rings for nearly every finger, and a beautiful opal headpiece. The servant dresses me, finally tucking the opulent headpiece into the complex braids they gave me. She wraps a sheer shawl around my shoulders, attaching each side to one of the rings on my fingers. The flowing asymmetrical skirt is more fabric than I'm used to wearing in the Vesivuan heat. After taking a few steps, I notice the skirt has a deep slit up the left side. Countess Nadia left no detail unnoticed, the part I'm meant to play becoming increasingly clear to me. The servant sits me down in a chair to smear some makeup on my face. I've never seen the Count myself, but I've heard he has an affinity for theatrical makeup. Seemingly finished costuming me, the servant allows me to look in the full length mirror for the first time since I've arrived. I barely recognize myself in the mirror, not that I'm displeased with what I see. The woman staring back is celestial, carrying the air of a mysterious goddess. The mask the servant hands me is simple yet unique, a sheer lavender fabric with iridescent glitter to cover the lower half of my face. I can play this part for the night.

Once prepped and ready, the servant leads me, along with a handful of other fortune tellers into a smaller room with a few reading tables scattered about. The candlelit room is smoky with incense, the colors of the room all coordinating with each of our outfits. There are other tables with unmarked potions on them, I assume for the more daring guests. A few of the other readers have crystal balls, some brought star charts, and only a couple with tarot decks.

Once we are settled at our tables, guests start filing in. They all have similar questions, usually requesting love or luck readings. It becomes increasingly clear the incense around the room is enchanted to never burn out, continuously filling the room with a smoky mysterious aura. Doing reading after reading depletes my energy more than I thought it would, so I elect to take a small break to rest my mind before returning. As my patron leaves the chair, I put up a small sign on my table notifying guests that I'll return in a few minutes. I take this chance to finally look around the rest of the room, and I notice there are small crowds surrounding dancers throughout the room. Have I been so absorbed in my own readings I didn't notice the other staff in the room?