Cutting Asra's Hair💕

a/n: I posted a hc a while ago that mc cuts asra's hair when it gets too long. Just one of the small ways they can take care of him after everything he's done to take care of them after their resurrection. It's one of my most popular posts, so I thought I'd flesh it out a bit and make a chapter about it! Happy reading~

~~~~

Asra tripped into his apprentice for the third time this week. Rushing out an apology for making them drop the dried herbs they were working with, he shook his hair out of his face once more.

"I can't quite see very well anymore, I'll have to visit the barber next chance I get." Something sounded wistful in his voice, a distant memory throbbing in the back of your head. It dawns on you, Asra, who seems to know everyone, doesn't know a barber. Who cut his hair before? An echo of a memory sounding through your mind clues you in. Had it been your responsibility to tame his unruly curls?

"Alright. That's it! I'm cutting your hair, whether you like it or not!" He halfheartedly wrestles your arms away from his hair, obviously letting you win.

"No, no, you don't have to. I couldn't ask that. I'll just go find someone in town later on, it'll be o-," He tries walking away, though in the middle of his sentence, he bumps his shoulder on the staircase.

"Let me take care of you... You've done so much for me, it's the least I can do." Your words rang true, there were weeks- months, maybe -in the beginning where the pounding in your head was too much to even open your eyes. Every day, he was by your side. Until you could function on your own, then he made himself scarce. The idea of doing something small for him made your heart swell, aching to show him the love he gave you every day in the short past you could remember.

A hint of a smile touches his rosy cheeks, "Well, if you're offering..." though he seems hesitant. Was he afraid of you doing a bad job, or something else?

He held his fluffy bangs off his face as he got a chair and towel ready, the ever graceful magician looking somewhat awkward by only using one hand to set up. He seemed to know what he was doing, setting the chair just so with a towel spread underneath. Finally, he gets the scissors. They look special, a delicate silver with engraved vines down the blades, and emeralds on the handles. He must have gotten these on one of his travels, somewhere that mattered to him. He's very careful with them, taking them out of the leather case, gingerly handing them to you.

As you examine them in your hands, a memory flashes through your mind. You and him, together, somewhere... else. Somewhere foreign. White-hot pain sears through your temples when you try to place where this was, you learned quickly over the last year to take the memories at face value as they came. Anything more hurt too much. Focusing on the memory at hand, you see him talking to a stranger in a bustling marketplace. The merchant looks enthralled by the pair, mysterious travelers having come to find certain rare herbs. Asra's laugh pierces your mind, sounding truly carefree for the first time you can remember. You take the tarot deck out of your pocket, trading a reading for the scissors.

Wait, those are Asra's cards. Why did you have them? You resolve to ask him about it later, deciding not to push any more boundaries today. He'd become too worried to cooperate if you clued him in to the sparked memory. Clearly he can tell something happened, he's staring at you from the corner of the room. The memory fades away as you shake any remnants of pain from your mind.

"Okay, come sit." You pat the chair, motioning for him to come over. He leaves his shirt and scarf on the glass counter, a surprise to you that he seems strangely comfortable with. He shakes his hair out once more and closes his eyes, giving you complete control. Something clicks into place in your heart. Yes, this is how it's supposed to be... I know this routine. Taking his chin in your hands, you turn his head this way and that to gauge which pieces need to go first. His eyes, that's the important part; he needs to see more than anything.

With a deep breath, you make the first cut. The sound is terrifying, eternally afraid you'll muck up Asra's beautiful locks. But, it turns out okay. I can do this. Piece after piece, snippets of his white hair fall to the ground around him, some of it resting on his neck and chest. It feels like muscle memory, your hands knowing what to do without much thought on your part. A habit built through years of repetition. Slowly but surely, you snip away the too-long bits, leaving behind a length that frames his face well. Not too much off the length, you like it long, just enough for him to see without running into things.

Once all is said and done, you put the scissors on the counter and take a moment to brush the remnants off his shoulders, relishing the feeling of his skin against yours. He's gone so often, it's not usual to get a quiet moment with him. He puts his hand over yours, holding you against him briefly before placing a tender kiss across your knuckles. His magic thrums through your veins, a comforting hum enveloping your hand. He finally opens his eyes, looking at you clearly for the first time in weeks. A wide smile spreads over his features, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Well, are you gonna let me see it?" He's practically gleaming, in a wonderfully better mood now. Something about the act made him reminiscent, but in the best way possible. Not his usual melancholy reminiscence, but a way that made his smile glow.

"Let me grab a mirror!" Rushing off to grab the handheld mirror, you hear him chuckle at your excitement. "I think I did quite the average job, what do you think?"

He takes a second to look himself over, seemingly pleased with the outcome. "It's lovely, you're a natural!" he runs his hands through the curls, turning towards Faust's perch near the window. "What do you think, Faust?" She looks over with curiosity, then smiles- as much as a snake can. You hear Faust in your mind shout 'Love!'

Asra blushes more than he should, shooting Faust a pointed look "Ahem- I'm glad you love my haircut, too."