Nadia x Deaf!Mc

"I will not suffer another sleepless night. Please, you must read the cards for me." The stranger unwraps the shawl around their face to reveal Countess Nadia. [MC] startles at the Countess entering their shop! Clearly this must be a mistake, she has to be looking for Asra. Nonetheless, it's rude to turn someone away; especially Countess Nadia! [MC] rushes over to a neat calligraphy sign on the wall, starting through their routine when a new customer comes in. [MC] enthusiastically smiles and points to the sign to convey the message written there.

'Hello! Welcome to our shop. I'm deaf, but I can read lips if you speak clearly! Please let me know how I can help you, and thank you for your patience!'

She takes a moment to read the sign, surprise showing on her face. "Oh! Right, yes! You can understand me?" [MC] nods 'yes', the kind smile never fading from their face. Surprise is common, but Nadia's quick acceptance warms their heart.

"Certainly, well I would ask you to read the cards for me. It has to be you, as my dreams foretold," the Countess grows solemn at her request, she clearly has a good reason for visiting so late in the night. [MC] cocks their head to the side in questioning, but holds the curtain to the back room open, gesturing for the Countess to take a seat. The back room is already prepped with a chalk board for [MC] to write their interpretations on. [MC] grabs the chalk board, scribbling 'Dream?' before turning it towards Nadia.

"My dreams are haunted by visions of a future waiting to unfold." Rigid seriousness show on her features. [MC] nods in contemplative understanding, beginning to shuffle the cards for the Countess. They spread the cards across the table, setting three in front of her. Electing to skip the fanfare for now, keeping the reading simple for Nadia, she already seems so exhausted. They gesture for her to choose a card. Nadia studies them carefully before flipping one over. [MC] is already writing on the chalk board, in neat, practiced script.

'The Magician.'

"And what does he hold for me?" Nadia leans forward, anticipating the answer. Writing a bit faster now, [MC] hurries out, 'You have a plan. Now, you seek to set it in motion. Act now. Everything has fallen into place.' Nadia closes her eyes, pleased with the outcome of the reading. She invites [MC] to the palace to serve in her mission to find her late husband's murderer. After a hurried nod from [MC], a rushed note reading 'I'll do my best,' and almost tripping to open the door for the Countess, [MC] finally has a moment with their thoughts. [MC] decides to head to bed, wanting to rest up before leaving for the palace in the morning.

Once [MC] arrives at the palace, Nadia welcomes them with a sign language interpreter at her side. Though [MC] brought a chalkboard with them, it seldom goes used since Nadia hired the best interpreter in all of Vesuvia. The entire conversation goes much easier, Nadia even picking up a few signs throughout the conversation.

"[MC], though I'll always provide every necessity for you, I have another request. I'd like you to teach me to sign, it is important to me that I can communicate with you in the way that's easiest for you," Nadia's eyes are earnest, her manicured hands holding [MC]'s.

Their lessons began that night, immediately following dinner.