Chap. 08 - "Sound, Swords... And, a Frost of Ice"

I didn't know what I was expecting. I heard footsteps and just assumed it was the others that have already come back. I was about to say "You sure got back early", but instead... a tall creature walked towards me. I didn't know what it was, nor do I know how to react towards it. As it walked towards me, it grabbed a really sharp-looking thing behind its back. It held it upwards. And, it fell down on me hard.

Garg: "Boss!"

"...... Garg..."

Garg took me away in time. The ground from where I stood before was split apart. That guy... he tried to cut me in half! I guess that means they were enemies. Garg put me down. We're quite a far distance from them. But, they're still within eyesight.

"Garg, what are they?"

Garg: "Those are humans, Boss. They're... very dangerous."

Dangerous... Could they be equal to me in power? Or are they stronger? The human came at us with incredible speed. It's as fast Croc is when he pounces out of the water to ambush prey. Garg shoved me behind him.

Garg: "Kur... Kraaaa!!!!!!"

I covered my ears. This is one of Garg's ability. Echo Burst. Bats release sound waves and whatever gets hit by those waves bounces back at them. That's how echolocation works. All Garg's doing is releasing an even more powerful sound wave but with a higher pitch, enough to shatter rocks.

The human fell on his knees. It's working. He dropped the thing that he was holding. Garg may not look it, but he's strong too... in his own way. And, then... a second human came out from behind the first one. This one looks different. It has longer hair than the other one, and it's holding another sharp-looking thing, but smaller.

Philia: "Reflection Wave!"

All the sound that Garg released everywhere came back at him all at once.

Garg: "Kaaaaaa!!!!"

"Garg!!"

Receiving all that sound overwhelmed him. His ears are bleeding. Garg fell down on the ground. The first human who fell down got back up again. How dare they!

I charge directly at them. The human in front also starts running to intercept me.

Philia: "Arron, wait! That dragon just talked! Stop!"

The human at the back looked like it's trying to stop its friend or something, but the other one doesn't seem to be listening. The human swings his sharp-something at me with full force. I grabbed it with my claw.

I can't afford to recklessly use my flames here. Otherwise, Garg might get even more hurt than ever. He raised one of his knees. Then, extended his leg towards me. It was a kick. That kick was strong enough to fling me away from him. But, I regained my stance by spreading my wings open, and slowly landing down on the ground.

He charged at me again. I won't fall from the same trick twice. This time, it was different. He turned his body around, and horizontally swung his sharp curvy thing at me from the side. It moved so fast. I bent down and barely dodged it in time. He's raising his leg again. Here comes another kick.

I opened my mouth as wide as I could. I bit the leg hard and deep. Blood started to enter my mouth. As much as I want to savor this new and unfamiliar taste, I need to kill him first. This guy has something on him that's making it hard for me to maintain my grip. [A.N: Those are just clothes, btw =w=]

He tries to shake me off, but I'm not letting go. I'll make sure I'll rip your leg off for what you did to Garg!

Then, all of a sudden, something caught my eye. I instinctively let go of the leg and backed away. It's the other human's sharp-thing.

I nearly got cut again. The sharp-thing cut some of the stuff that the other one was coated in. Is that some kind of protective layer that they cover themselves on? [A.N: Again, those are just clothes, but plz don't mind MC's way of deciphering them XD]

Because my blood is high during battle, I was able to react from the strike of their sharp-thing when it tried to cut me while I was biting off that human's leg. Unlike before, when I was still confused on what to do, I couldn't react from the slash that the first human did when he casually walked towards me and tried to cut me down.

I took a few steps back away from them and went beside Garg. I almost forgot that there were two of them. But, there may be more. In case nothing happens to Garg, I need to be right beside him. Garg tries to drag his body closer to me, but it looks like he's still having a hard time recovering from the damage he just received from his own attack.

Garg: "B-... Boss..."

He looks... so weak. And, in pain. I've never seen him like this before. If this were to happen to the others as well... then...

I shake my head. I won't let anything worse happen to them. Ever!

"Don't worry, Garg. I'll get those guys for you. Whatever happens, I'll protect you!"

The human with long hair looked at me with surprised eyes. The other one is holding the part of his leg where I bit. I can still see blood coming out of his injury. Whatever you two are, you're still nothing but meat and flesh that can be killed and eaten like the rest of the food we prey on. I'm going to enjoy my first hunt. And, most of all, I'm going to enjoy seeing your faces as I burn you alive from what you did to Garg!

Philia: "Arron. Calm down. I don't want you attacking them anymore."

Arron: "Hah? That thing is a Purgatory Dragon. It's best to kill it while it's young."

Philia: "Yes, I know that, but..."

A chill started resonating in the air. It suddenly got colder. In one of the passageways leading to this cave, the ground, the walls, and the ceiling started to freeze and turn into ice. Something's there. Something that's causing me to be on full alert.