Chap. 11 - "Flames of Sacrifice"

Just when I thought I'd be frozen solid, something grabbed me and released an intense heat that cracked the ice demon's claw. I was carried by someone who could withstand my own flames and, in turn, can release flames of its own that are powerful enough to deal damage to the ice demon. Just who is thi-...

"Mander?!"

Mander: "Haha! You looked like you were in trouble, Boss. So I came to help."

Mander put me down next to Garg. I expected that the cost for burning myself would be heavy, but it looks like I'm still fine.

"Mander...!"

Mander: "Heh. I know what you're gonna say, so don't bother. I can take care of this guy myself."

"Wha-... What are you talking about?! Didn't you see how disadvantaged I was against that thing?! You're no match for it!"

Mander: "Nah. I'll be fine. If anything... it's more understandable why you'd have a hard time against it. The way you are now, none of your attacks will work against one of the Nine Circles of Hell."

"Nine... what?"

Philia: "W-wait a minute... How do you know about that?"

Mander: "............... Boss... who are these humans?"

"They're... uh..."

Cocytus: "Permafrost."

The ground suddenly froze and the ice is extending up and is trying to freeze us.

Mander: "Fervid Flame Aura!"

Mander released extremely hot flames and melted all the ice around us. Amazing. His flames can melt that thing's ice and even crack his ice body, while I had to go all-out and even that did nothing.

Mander: "Hee~eh... And, here I thought you already saw what my flames are capable of, yet you bothered to attack us with such brittle ice."

Cocytus: "What... are you?"

Mander: "Now, now... don't be like that, oh great and powerful Ice Emperor. I'm just your fellow resident of Hell. (whisper) Or rather, I used to..."

Cocytus: "What?"

Mander rocketed himself at the ice demon's direction. His whole body was on fire. He tackled at the ice demon. I can see fragments of ice getting flung out of the ice demon's body. Mander's flames can work against him. The ice demon was pushed to the other side of the cave.

Mander: "Just so you know... I hate the cold. Heat Rise!"

Mander released an intense amount of body heat around him. I spread out my wings and cover Garg and the humans from the heat. Though it doesn't look like my body is affected much from the heat, but I can still feel how hot it is. The whole cave is melting.

The ice demon looks... wobbly. Don't tell me he's getting heat stroke just by being in Mander's heat. Even though my own purgatory flames couldn't damage him, he's losing his mind just by a little heat? Mander isn't even using his flames.

Mander: "So long."

Mander raised his claws upward and conjured up a tremendously large ball of fire. It was so bright, I couldn't clearly see Mander from the brightness. He throws it down at the ice demon.

Mander: "Vulverize Agni!"

The ball of fire makes contact on the ice demon. Mander then hurriedly rushes towards us.