Chap. 12 - "Purgatory Flame that Resides Within the Body"

Garg: "Mander! Mander!"

I can hear Garg's scream from behind. Mander has been frozen in ice. He fought against the ice demon by himself. I was sure he'd be able to make quick work against it because his flames are the only ones that can deal damage to it. Even my own flames barely did a thing to it. But, I was wrong.

Mander lost. He's now a block of ice because of me. It's my fault. It's all my fault. It's because I was weak. Mander gave his life to me just to release my sealed power.

Don't worry, Mander. I won't be weak anymore. I'll get stronger. Strong enough to make sure that no one will have to risk their lives for me. It'll be my turn to protect them!

"Cocytus!!!"

I roar in anger as I fly towards the ice demon. He's broken free from Mander's illusions.

Cocytus: "Indense."

The air started to feel heavy. My wings feel a bit numb. I flew on anyways. I strike with my claws. Cocytus countered it with his own claws. The two collision from the two blows created a wind pressure that pushed away all the rocks and ice around us. I don't know if Garg and those humans were blown away too, but right now... I should just focus on defeating this guy.

Something heavy struck me from above. I fell down hard on the ground. It was his wings. I almost forgot that the talons on his wings are more like hands than a talon. It took on the shape of a fist and hammered me down. I immediately repositioned myself. To my surprise, I didn't really receive much damage.

Cocytus instantly appears in front of me. He raises one claw and swings it down on me. The force was once again powerful enough to blow away all the debris in the area. I managed to block it with both of my claws, but that force is still heavy, I can barely remain standing.

Cocytus raises his other claw. I'm not sure if I'll be able to defend against that in time. Not with both my hands like this. He swings his claw down. I can feel the immense pressure from the swing even while it's still being swung. It'll probably be as powerful, if not more powerful, than his first strike.

I kicked off from the ground and jumped backwards. His claw hit the ground, and like I thought, it really was powerful like his first one. Cocytus sets his gaze on me and moves towards me in an instant. Dang it, he's so fast. He swings a claw at me again. I won't be able to avoid it in time, so I block it instead.

I got hurled out of the cave while breaking through the ground and landed on broken soil. I think I ended up pretty far from everyone else. The ground here is soft. There are tall rocks everywhere, like pillars. Each of these rocks have some kind of small green thing attached to them. They give off a strange scent. [A.N: Don't think too much of these, they're just trees, but MC doesn't know that yet =3]

Then, the pillars and the green stuff stuck on them instantly froze. Cocytus is heading this way at an amazing speed. His claws are extended forward, ready to impale me. Everything he passes by gets frozen in ice.

Enough already!! I've had enough of seeing you freeze stuff like that!

I get up on my feet, face the ice demon head on, and took his claw strike directly. I didn't block it, nor avoided it, I just... took it. His claw did hit my chest, but that's just it. His claw hit my chest... after that... it started breaking apart.

I can feel it. The power welling inside me. This feeling... this power... it's urging me to release it. I can't stop myself. I really feel like releasing it all. But, then... how big is the collateral damage going be? No... I shouldn't waste my time thinking about all that. I'll release it. To defeat this monster!

"Deimos Blaze!"

I release an aura of blue and black flames. The flames burn the surrounding area. Strange. It's not the usual red. However, these blue flames are hotter and brighter than my red flames. The fire is overwhelming Cocytus. He screams in pain.

That's the way. Keep it up. Hotter. Hotter! Burn him to nothingness!

Cocytus releases his claw from my chest. But, the blue and black flames are still burning on his claw. I grabbed his claw. You're not getting away from me!

I release more flames from my body. This time, it was an array of a multitude of flames. Red, blue, and black flames started coming out of my body and they're all engulfing Cocytus in a frenzy of colors. Eventually, his ice body started making big cracks and he's trying to shove me off of him. He extends his other claw at me.

Cocytus: "Cryo-...!"

The claw broke into pieces.

Cocytus: "Kah!"

That's the face I wanted to see. That face filled with undeniable dread and fear. I'm not going to let you go easily after what you did to us. To all of us. And, to Mander as well!

I peirced my claw on his chest.

"Ignis Purge!"

A veil of blue light brightly glowed and covered the whole forest.