Chap. 09 - "Cocytus"

The cave walls, the ground, the ceiling, and even the air, all started freezing into solid ice. One of the passageways that lead to this cave... has been frozen. There's something there. Something that makes me want to stay in full alert.

It seems that the other two have also kept their guard up. Does that mean that whatever's in that passageway isn't their ally? I admit, this isn't an enemy that I can probably handle on my own. Should I work with the humans? No. Definitely not. They hurt Garg. I can't just let go of that fact.

It's getting closer. The air is getting colder. The water surrounding the rock tower is frozen solid. I look at the the passageway. I see something. It's another creature that I haven't seen before. What is that thing? It's looks like a moving ice monster. It stands on two legs, and it even has wings. Its wing joint isn't a talon like mine, it's another pair of hands. It has four hands. Its eyes are glowing red.

Philia: "The Ice Prison Emperor... Cocytus. They weren't kidding when they reported that it escaped. And here I thought we were just blindly chasing a rogue demon. (thought) I see. The quests for hunting down a rogue demon and capturing the escaped Ice Emperor were requested by two different people. They didn't know that the rogue demon was actually the Ice Emperor itself."

Arron: "Kuh...! Philia! Run!

Philia: "Huh?"

Arron: "Hurry up and run!"

Philia: "W-what are you saying?! You expect me to leave you alone here?! There's no way I'm gonna do that!"

The ice demon, with its claws open, charged straight at the human girl. It's fast. But... I can still read your movements!

Without realizing it, I subconsciously thrust my claw at the ice demon's head. Whether it was because I wanted to save the human, or attacked when I saw a chance, I wouldn't know. I grabbed its head, and slammed it at the ground. The frozen ground broke apart. The ice demon turned its head around and looked at me. Then, all of a sudden, my claws started to freeze. I released black fire from my frozen claw and broke the ice apart. I quickly stepped back.

That ice demon's face didn't have a single dent on it, even though I shoved its head hard into the ground. It's not only fast, but it's tough too. I slightly look behind me. The human girl looks like she's healing her friend. I set my gaze back at the ice demon who's standing up.

Fine then. Just this once. I'll help you two out. After that, I'm so gonna make you pay for what you did to Garg.

The ice demon once again attacked in a blinding speed and swung a claw at me. I bent my head up and avoided the hit. A second claw approaches. And a third?! That's right, this thing has four hands. I dodged and blocked the attacks with my own claws, parrying every single blow, but... this thing is just too fast. I can feel the pressure of the blows as it collides against my claw. This guy is fast, tough, and unbelievably strong too. I can't find an opening to counterattack.

It moved its leg. It's gonna kick me, huh? I've had enough with the kicking! I jump above, avoiding the kick, and then noticed a claw from its wing about to hit from above. Like I didn't see that coming! I blocked the claw-swipe with both of my wings and was hurled to the ground. Though, I received damage, I managed to withstand all the attacks. Time for my counterattack.

"Hellrend Descent!"

I stick my claws underground and a burst of red, orange, and black flames surround and engulf the ice demon from below it. I'm not done! I'm going to raise the heat and the power of the flames and expand it to the extent that you're going to regret having an ice for a body!

The flames start to get thicker and thicker until all you can see is the dense fire around the ice demon. The ice around the cave is melting. This is quite an intense heat gathered in one place. I'm glad I'm not in that demon's place right now. Though I don't even know if I myself will get affected by my own flames. Well, Garg did got hurt badly when he got hit by his own attack, so I guess I shouldn't be too overconfident in myself.

Looking from behind, it seems that they're done with the healing process. The girl looks tired though. Now, then... time to make them pay for what they did to Garg. Just when I thought of that, emerging from my flames, the ice demon nonchalantly walks out of the fire.

What?! There's not a single burn mark on it! What is this thing?! It's body looks like it's made of ice, yet... I don't think that's it at all!

Philia: "Dragon. Although it pains me to ask you of this. But, may we ask of your assistance?"

".................. I don't trust you."

Philia: "You don't have to. I understand. We just want you to help us defeat that thing."

"........................"

I don't trust them. I'll never trust them. But... I have no choice. I'll just do what they say. And, exactly as they say, I don't have to trust them. I just have to work with them and get me and my family out of this alive!

"......... Alright... But, you're going to heal and apologize to Garg once this is all over, do you hear me?!"

Philia: "Yes. I promise I will."

"..........................."

I still don't trust them. And, I will never trust them. But, right now... to protect the things that are precious to me... I'm gonna need to do whatever it takes to take down that abomination.

"......... Rrrraaaaaarrr!!!!!!!"

My roar signals a battlecry. A cry for the sake of the ones I cherish the most.