Chap. 15 - "All this... for Dinner"

My name is Alice. I'm five years old. I live with my mother in a small village. She cooks and sells really delicious food. Father works as a guard in a royal city and he rarely comes home. The last time he did, that was over three months ago and he only stayed for a week. I don't know when he'll be back home again.

Mom is happy whenever Dad's around, so I really wish he comes home often. Our village is located near a fast-running river and there's only one bridge there that connects to the other side. The other side of the river is a forest that's filled with dangerous beasts. The forest is vast and it extends far to a volcano that erupted years ago. I was very little when it erupted and my parents said that the tremors reached this village.

The village where I live is near a forest that is home to many monsters. Those monsters aren't really too dangerous, that's why this village doesn't have a guild for adventurers. Though, we do have a small inn for travelers and adventurers. The only dangers in that forest are a few of poisonous plants, but other than that, it's practically safe for people to come and go there. However, the safe zone doesn't exceed past the fast-running river. There's a river in the forest, and beyond that point, that's where dangerous monsters reside in.

"Alice! Can you help me out here?"

Alice: "Coming, Mom!"

I help Mom out a bit in the kitchen. Although I only help her out in a few labor of materials and food. The food we sell are really loved by the village. They say it's not like any other in the whole world. It's true that Mom's cooking are really good, but they didn't have to exaggerate it, saying it's the best in the world. I once asked her how she knew all these recipes before...

Alice: "Mom, where did you learn how to cook all this?"

"Ah... that's... well... you see... I... I learned it from my mother! Yes! That's right! My mother taught me how to cook this."

Alice: "Grandma did? Where is she now?"

"She's... not from this world..."

Alice: "So, she's in heaven?"

"I... guess you could say that. Yes. She's in heaven."

Alice: "I wish I could've met her."

"Me too."

Alice: "Will you teach me how to cook too?"

"Of course. But, be careful when cooking, okay? You might hurt yourself."

Alice: "Okay!"

Ever since then, I started learning to cook her recipes. I'm slowly learning, but I'm not even close to being as good as her. I practice everyday and I've finally managed to cook my very first meal. It's just your usual breakfast with eggs and bacon, but I was still able to successfully cook my first food nonetheless.

"You did great. As a reward, for this dinner, I'll cook something whatever you like."

Alice: "Really?"

"Of course. So, what do you want?"

Alice: "Umm... then, I want that delicious stroga-something you used to make!"

"Ah, Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff?"

Alice: "Yes, that's the one!"

"Alright. But, we ran out of those mushrooms yesterday. Can you pick some up for me? I'll prepare the rest of the ingredients."

Alice: "Okay! They're in the forest, right?"

"What's wrong? If you're scared, I can-"