9.3

Beau pulls into the open parking space, shutting off the engine and taking off her seatbelt before just sitting there for a moment, taking a moment to just calm her nerves and really just take in what she's about to go and do. Depending on how this goes, her life could change completely. She picks up her belongings, checking the time on her phone again to make sure she's not late, before exiting the vehicle and locking it up. Steeling her nerves one last time, she makes her way towards the front door of the doctors' office, reminding herself that nothing is for definite yet.

-

Beau shuts the door of the car, dropping her phone and keys onto the passenger seat before crossing her arms against the steering wheel and leaning her head against them, replaying the conversation she's just had. She distantly hears her phone ring but ignores it in favour of taking some deep breaths as she comes to terms with what she's just learnt. Going in there, she thought she had been ready for whatever verdict, but having the confirmation just makes the situation a whole lot more real.

Sarah was right about not needing that other appointment. What use is a contraceptive when you're already pregnant? It'd be too little, too late.

As the news sinks in, she realises that she has no idea how she's going to tell Matt. He's going to be excited and happy about the news, she already knows that, but she just doesn't know how to tell him. She doesn't want to do anything extravagant - but with the way her nerves are feeling right now, she's not sure she'd be able to get the words out either.

She sits up, grabbing her keys from the passenger seat and starting up the car. She decides that the first thing she should do is to leave the carpark of the doctors' office. She drives to a quaint café she's visited a couple of times with Matt, parking outside before heading in and ordering a plain croissant to pick at. She checks who called her earlier while she's sitting at her table, looking up briefly to thank the young girl that brings her the snack she ordered, seeing a missed call from Matt and a text asking her where she went. She simply texts him back to tell him that she left before he woke up to go to a doctors appointment, not elaborating on that particular point, and that she's probably going to be out for a little while longer because she was feeling a little bit cooped up inside all the time since they came home.

She doesn't wait for his reply, not even sure if he'll check his phone any time soon, moving to her contacts and scrolling through, looking for the one person who could probably help her right now. Once she finds the name she's looking for, she immediately presses call, crossing her fingers and hoping that she'll pick up.

"Hello," She hears after a few rings, causing her to sigh in relief.

"Phoebs," Beau greets her sister-in-law warmly, before moving on before the other woman can return the greeting. "I'm sorry for calling out of the blue, especially when River's probably been keeping you up all night, but I need your help."

Phoebe makes a curious noise, "What kind of help?"

Beau bites her lip, "The kind of help that means keeping a secret from Flynn for me. It'll just be for a little while, until I sort everything out this end and then I'll tell Flynn myself."

There's a pause as Phoebe deliberates for a moment before Beau hears her mumble an affirmative. "Fine, I'll help, so long as you keep up your end of the deal and tell your brother."

Beau nods, even though Phoebe can't see her. "I promise I will, I just need to do this one thing and then I'll tell Flynn."

"So, what exactly is it that I'm helping you with?"

"I've just found out I'm pregnant," Beau gets out, realising it's the first time she's said it out loud and that it's really not as hard to say or as scary as she thought it would be.

"Oh my God, that's amazing!" Beau bites back a smile as she hears how excited Phoebe is, before the excitement pauses as a thought must strike her. "Unless it's not good news... Wait a minute, is it not Matt's? Is that what you want me to hide?

Beau's eyes widen at the rapidly derailing thoughts coming out of Phoebe's mouth, swallowing the bit of croissant she had been chewing so she can answer. "Woah, calm down a second. That's not it at all. It's Matt's, I promise; I'm not even sure how I should feel about the fact that you even considered that I would sleep with someone else while with Matt. Just no. I need you to keep it a secret from Flynn that I'm pregnant as well as help me figure out how to tell Matt."

"I can definitely do that," Phoebe agrees immediately. "I didn't mean to accuse you of sleeping around or cheating. I guess the sleepless nights are catching up to me and making my brain go haywire."

Beau laughs, "When I get to that point, I'll let you know if I experience the same thing. Now, since you've been in my situation, I thought you might be able to give me a few ideas on how to tell Matt that he's going to be a dad soon."

Phoebe laughs, "I've got a few."

Beau smiles, finishing the last of her croissant and pushing the plate away, focusing on the phone call. "Well, I'm all ears, so hit me with these ideas of yours - maybe I'll find some inspiration. Or just muster up some courage in the meantime."