5. Let 'Em In

"Poppy? What are you doing come in, come in." My father was beyond concerned as I was chattering at their front door in the pouring rain. Mascara was by now probably all the way down my cheeks from crying and I was completely dazed in a haze of sadness.

"George and I had an argument." I spoke trying not to let my voice quiver.

My step mother Rosetta came into sight, immediately gasping in horror as she saw me.

"Dear let's get you some warm clothes for heavens sake!" She turned back around going to fetch some.

"About, Brian?" He asked seeming to tiptoe around my loss delicately.

He and the kids had come visit me the next day after Brian passed, and although seeing my half brothers and sister always lightened my mood, I hadn't felt like doing much talking that day. George had done most of the talking for me, which is why I knew my father assumed it was on the subject of Brian's passing.

"No, George was in a really bad mood, and, I'm just all so confused right now," my voice began to quiver slightly.

"-confused-" He encourage me to carry on.

"I'm pregnant." I confessed scared how he might reacted.

His lips turned upwards into a smile.

"-really?" He looked pleased, watching intently as I nodded with tears coming to my eyes.

"You're pregnant?" Caroline gasped in pure shock.

I realized Harry and Caroline had been listening in from where Rosetta had peaked her head in the foyer to see me.

Their younger brother Teddy was probably well asleep by now at this late hour, only being two years old by then.

I nodded looking at the two of them with fear in my eyes.

"It's alright love." She looked at me with a melancholy grin seeing how emotional I was becoming and came to give me a hug regardless of my sopping wet clothes.

"I'm going to be an uncle?" Harry inquired deep in thought, his twelve year old brain probably exploding.

I nodded as Caroline and I broke away from each others arms, watching as Harry's face lit up in delight.

"Here you go dearie, I've got some nice cozy pyjamas and a robe, let's get you changed into them before you become hypothermic, you've got two people to think about now." She spoke handing me over the clothing, lecturing me in a motherly fashion.

I followed her into the guest room to change without saying much. They all decided it was best I stay that night, knowing it was best both George and I cool down before we even think about talking about becoming parents.

Sometimes I wondered now a days if George thought much about me as he used to.

He had become very enthralled into the world of music, spiritually and business I wasn't entirely sure if we had really even spent real quality time together in months before Brian passed.

"I kind of like the sound of being a grandfather, you know, cross it off the bucket list." My father thought out loud as him and I sat by his fireplace together to warm up once everyone else had gone to bed.

I smiled faintly with a small shake of my head.

"Well you might the youngest grandpa I've ever seen." I remarked playfully taking a sip of tea Rosetta had made for me before going up to bed.

He let out a small laugh, seeming to have a lot on his mind.

"How did this happen?" He looked off into the fire pit once again thinking out loud, causing me to nearly choke on my tea.